We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Trouble getting Jasper Reports Server 5.6 working

jeffrey.hegeman
Go to solution Solved by jeffrey.hegeman,

I recently tried to upgrade to Jasper Reports Server 5.6 by uninstalling JRS 5.5 and installing 5.6. I rebooted after the uninstall of 5.5 and after the installation of 5.6. When I try to open the UI in the browser it take a really long time before 1 of 3 things happens.

1. Tomcat server crashes

2. Page times out

3. A garbled mess shows up on the page

Can someone please suggest a solution?

Thanks,

Jeff

FYI I was able to reinstall 5.5 after this and successfully import my previous backup, so this problem is only with 5.6

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news is that it looks like the 5.6 server is up and running.

One thing that is important to do is to clear the browser cache because all of the javascript files from the older JRS version will still be present in the browser. It is common to get display issues after an upgrade when the browser cache is not cleared.

If you are still stuck, go ahead and post the <tomcat>/logs/catalina.out file. (or whatever tomcat log file has the most error output to look at).

As Kavanagh posted, you need to clear your web browser cache after versioning up. Also, did you recover your database from 5.5 after installing 5.6? If so, don't. 5.5 and 5.6 have slightly different database tables. If you want to use data from 5.5, you need to do an upgrade or do an export from 5.5 and do an import in 5.6. However, 5.5 and 5.6 have different theme's as well so you may not be able to use theme from 5.5 in 5.6 (in other words, don't import theme from 5.5.)

http://community.jaspersoft.com/documentation/v56/jasperreports-server-upgrade-guide

Good News! The Install Guide is now posted on the Community site in HTML format. (It used to only be available as a PDF.)

Just click on the Docs link on the top level Community menu bar.

Here is a link to the installation instructions when installing using the "War File Distribution ZIP" (ie jasperreports-server-cp-5.6.0-bin.zip).

http://community.jaspersoft.com/documentation/jasperreports-server-community-install-guide/v56/installing-war-file-using-js-install

• Solution

After playing with it for a while, reinstalling multiple times, and trying different things, I have chalked it up to installing the 32bit version on a 64bit machine. This has never been an issue before, so I don't know why it is now, but it appears to be my issue here. 

5.5x86 works

5.6x86 doesn't work

5.6x64 works

My production machine is 32bit, so I usually test with 32 on my 64 bit machine. As I stated earlier, this hasn't been a problem until now. I appreciate your feedback. Now that I have successfully tested 5.6 on a different 32bit machine and my 64bit test machine I will work on upgrading the production machine.

Thanks again for your help! This is a great community!