Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

lehmann
Go to solution Solved by Massimo Rabbi,

We have built an embedded report designer based on JavaFX, providing a subset of the Jaspersoft Studio features. This designer is embedded into a commercial ERP product. Is it allowed to reuse a small amount of element icons, e.g. for Textfield or Frame, from Studio?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. But what does this actually mean for a few icons? Does this count as "fair use"? Or does it count as "small snippets of documentation"? The AGPL has redistribution of (possibly altered) Studio versions in mind. I am not doing that at all.

If you're going to "sell" products based on Jaspersoft Studio, it'll be necessary to have all users buy Jaspersoft Studio licenses as well - I don't think commercial license isn't transferable to other users. What lehmann requires to be safe is to buy an OEM license from Tibco Jaspersoft as we've done. :-)

• Solution
The Jaspersoft Studio license that applies to the Community Edition is the EPL (Eclipse Public License).

For the Professional version the TIBCO commercial license applies. 

Personally I would suggest to contact the legal team of TIBCO Jaspersoft, before proceeding further including icons.

From a developer point of view, what I can say is that we usually included icons,images already used by other Eclipse projects (so under the EPL license itself), created part of them and included ones free for commercial use.

Of course it would be better to investigate on the specific icons you are talking about. Anyhow please refer to the legal team first.

Regards,

Massimo.