Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Any step by step instructions to install Jaspersoft Community edition?

Go to solution Solved by goodweather,

Sorry in advance for this probably stupid question (once you know the answer).

We want to try Jaspersoft and I downloaded the Community edition. Well, I first only took Jaspersoft Studio but it doesn't work then I also downloaded the Library but I don't know what to do with it. There is no exe, no installation instruction.
Tried to get support from Jaspersoft people but they don't provide support for the Community edition.

So, I'm here with the willingness to try a software for which the software supplier doesn't provide any installation help...☹️

Can anyone point me to some step by step instructions on what to do to install Jaspersoft and get it running (ability to create a basic "Hello world" report in Studio)?
Thx in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

OK. Just finally found a clear article indicating that there was a 3rd component, the JS CE server that was also needed.
As indicated here in a post by JS but also in that article, the free server is discontinued so, the conclusion is that, I cannot run this SW unless purchasing a license.

The JasperReports Server Community Edition is available no longer available. Without any major announcements, download options and the Github repository have disappeared. The new Jaspersoft Community Edition now consists of the JasperReports Library and Jaspersoft Studio. JasperReports Server is no longer included.

JasperReports Server Community Edition was a free, open source reporting platform. It made it possible to create reports in any form and integrate data from different sources. JasperReports was developed by Jaspersoft, a company specializing in business intelligence and reporting solutions.

Hi Goorweather,

you can download Jaspersoft Studio CE here:
https://community.jaspersoft.com/download-jaspersoft/community-edition/

After the installation, you can refer to this video tutorial to create your first report:

What to do with the report you create? The report itself is represented by a jrxml file (and eventually other resources such as images, subreports, etc...). The answer to this question depends by your use case, you may already have an application that requires you to provide a jrxml, or you may want to write your own application by using JasperReports Library.

If you simply plan to run the reports without using other software and without writing your own one, then JasperReports Server is what you need. It is a web application in which you can load your reports and run them (with the ability to create input controls to get parameters that your reports may require to run, and setup all the connections to get the data for your reports). Of course JasperReports server does much more than that.

JasperReports Server can be downloaded here:
https://community.jaspersoft.com/download-jaspersoft/commercial-edition/

As you just discovered, it is a commercial product, but you can download a 30 days free trial.

Hope this helps.

Giulio

Noting that JasperReports Server 8.20 Community Edition was released under AGPL, and hence those who have that version, should be entitled to get its source code. So, why aren't those requests being honoured?

• Like 1

If it helps I have a blow by blow set of instructions for installing the WAR version of JasperReports Server CE 8.20.
And I have the debian/ubuntu installer for it.

I am hyper-busy at the moment, so I might not respond quickly

On 4/11/2024 at 12:14 AM, Giulio Toffoli said:

Hi Goorweather,

you can download Jaspersoft Studio CE here:
https://community.jaspersoft.com/download-jaspersoft/community-edition/

After the installation, you can refer to this video tutorial to create your first report:

What to do with the report you create? The report itself is represented by a jrxml file (and eventually other resources such as images, subreports, etc...). The answer to this question depends by your use case, you may already have an application that requires you to provide a jrxml, or you may want to write your own application by using JasperReports Library.

If you simply plan to run the reports without using other software and without writing your own one, then JasperReports Server is what you need. It is a web application in which you can load your reports and run them (with the ability to create input controls to get parameters that your reports may require to run, and setup all the connections to get the data for your reports). Of course JasperReports server does much more than that.

JasperReports Server can be downloaded here:
https://community.jaspersoft.com/download-jaspersoft/commercial-edition/

As you just discovered, it is a commercial product, but you can download a 30 days free trial.

Hope this helps.

Giulio

Thx for this, Giulio and I would enjoy following the tutorial BUT my issue is that JS Studio is not starting at all because I'm getting this error.
I downloaded the latest JS Studio CE 6.21.2 then unzipped the content and just clicked on the Jaspersoft Studio.exe file as there is no other instruction):
image.png.47dcba4d02c1afa5b059e02196a77537.png

2 hours ago, Giulio Toffoli said:

Thx a lot for this @Giulio Toffoli !!!
I downloaded the certificate (you may need to review the text of your instruction) and I also succeeded to add it to the keystore (you may also need to review the text of the command as the certificate file name has been replaced by "_" and that you are not indicating the password of the keystore (but Google is my friend 😉 ).
I retried launching the JS Studio and it is still indicating the same issue but I guess I need to restart my PC.
Will do that later.
Would be good to add this kind of instructions in a README1st file as part of the JS Studio CE download.
Have a nice w-e!

Hi again.... @Giulio Toffoli

Some news: I restarted my PC but still have the issue.
I saw another post where the user mentioned that JS Studio was not looking to the right store... I added the certificate in my own java jre store. That user modified the Jaspersoft Studio.ini file by adding 2 commands

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore="C:/Program Files/Java/jre-1.8/lib/security/cacerts"
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=changeit

Still it is mentioning the PKIX issue...
Any other thing I can check/try?

Can I verify that the Jaspersoft certificate is well added in that store?