We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Difference b/w using Parameters and Fields as Report JR Data Source

dytenstan
Go to solution Solved by C-Box,

Hi,

I am new on JasperReports and I want to learn, what is the main difference when filling the report data by JRBeanCollectionDataSource with Parameters or Fields.

I have a big report which has 10 tables in it. I pass the table datasources as parameters to the report. Should I pass the data to the fields, or passing data to params is just OK?

Thank you for your answers.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hozawa,

Ok, but how to fill that dataSet? I mean, I can pass the data to dataSet as parameter, than I can pass it to dataSourceExpression of dataSet as below;

<parameter name="list1" class="net.sf.jasperreports.engine.data.JRBeanCollectionDataSource"/>

<datasetRun subDataset="dsList1" uuid="bcc71b8c-7287-427c-a26e-20c49c38c30a">
    <dataSourceExpression><![CDATA[$P{list1}]]></dataSourceExpression>
</datasetRun>

Is that a wrong approach? Should I feed the dataSource with Field instead of Parameter?

Thank you.

• Solution

Perhaps my two cents yet:

If you define a complex (nested) java-pojo/bean structure and use the JRBeanCollectionDataSource for your MainReportDataSet at calling the FillManager, so you don't know at this toplevel for what (nested) pojo/bean which substructure existst to pass all possible SubDataSources as parameters from outside!

So using a Field for a SubReportDataSourceExpression is also a good solution in this case - so a simple pojo/bean holding a substructure of childs within a ArrayList<SomeBean>  myChilds = new ArrayList<SomeBean>() could easily transformed to a new JRBeanCollectionDataSource to use in a List or SubReport Element as DataSourceExpression:  new JRBeanCollectionDataSource($F{MyChilds}

hth + regards

C-Box