We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

error message on updating main.jrxml file

jadavis

I am new to IReport and Jasper Server (actually just downloaded and installed ver 3.1.4).  I created my first jasper report via IReport plugin.   this worked as expected and I was able to run it through the plugin interface.   Now, when I attempt to edit it, i open the main.jrxml file locally (which creates a tmp file locally) and make my changes.   Once, I've made my changes, I'm attempting to replace the main.jrxml file.   I've tried the following: 

1) right click on main.jrxml file and select "replace with current jrxml file"

2) right click on main.jrxml file and select properties and resource tab and attempt to replace it with the locally modified file.

In both cases I get the same error message:

Error:

2 - 1 Validation error(s):

A resource already has this name

Just looking for some help with this.

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am also new to iReport and JasperServer.  I am getting the same error.  Which version of JasperServer will see the correction of this bug?  I am using JS 3.5 and iReport 3.5. 

And, owing that we probably won't just hop on upgrading the server, how can I workaround this in the mean time?  Thank you.

Hi jrm,

are you experiencing this error with iR/JS 3.5 ?  Can you tell me what is your environment and give me more details? Like what user created the report unit, which one is trying to update the jrxml, what permissions are set for the report unit?

Or if you prefer, a way to reproduce the problem?

Thanks, it would be really appreciated.

Giulio

Hi Giulio,

This is a pure prototype test at this point. I am running iR 3.5 and JS 3.5. Both locally. My machine is running XP SP2.

I have an MS Access database on the laptop, and a DSN describing it. I have created a datasource in iReport using a JDBC ODBC bridge (sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver), and calling this DSN.

I created a simple select * report from a small table in the Access .mdb file. I see my report saved to my file system as two files with .jasper and .jrxml extensions. 

Then I created a basic report unit, and inserted this jrxml file as my Main jrxml, and added the above data source.  I ran the report unit successfully.

Next, I made a simple edit (changed the text in a static text field) in order to force a change to the jrxml file. The change works fine in preview mode.  I have tried the two methods for replacing the Main jrxml file with the temporary edited file, as the first commenter on this thread mentioned:

1) right click on main.jrxml file and select "replace with current jrxml file"
2) right click on main.jrxml file and select properties and resource tab and attempt to replace it with the locally modified file.

I also tried exporting this file to my file system explicitly, and reimporting it.  All receive the "resource already has this name" error.  The only success I have had is to delete the report unit, and recreate it.

From my browser instance of JasperServer, where I am logged in also as jasperadmin, I can see that both the folder and report object have "administer" permission, and show as modify and delete user access.

Again, I am new to this product, so I may be overlooking something obvious.  Any help/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello.

I've found this topic while googling for the exact same message ("A resource already has this name").

For me, the steps to trigger this behaviour are:

1.create a report which uses "resource bundle feature" and has some images.

2. connect to server using repository navigator

3. click Add/Report Unit

4. enter any name/label

5. click - get source from current opened report

6. get data source from repository (I've defined it earlier)

7. "check the resources you want attach to this Report Unit" - I have only my image, I'm not sure if my .properties resource bundle should be here as well, to be honest I expected it to be :-)

8. continue

9. and here I get the aforementioned message :-(

I'm using latest iR 3.5 and JS 3.5. (Ubuntu Linux 8.04,Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)  if that's important). Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Thank you for your time

Regards,

Marcin

Hello Giulio - additionally, fwiw, I have now installed JS 3.5 on a server, and loaded the database and configurations from my laptop instance to it.  

When I do the same procedure leading to the problem reported here, I do not get the error on the server instance.  Yet, I still get it on the local instance. 

I.e., running iR from my laptop, and connected to the server installed JS, I can save my report edits directly back to the original jrxml file.  But, trying to save report edits on the laptop installed JS, I still get the error as previously.

So, if that's of any help...

Thanks,

John

John,

I believe I know the problem. It was an issue with the web services, not really with iReport directly. It has been fixed in JasperServer Professional 3.5. It's still a problem in JasperServer CE 3.5 RC1.

I expect that it is already fixed in JS CE head, but I have not verified this. I'm sure it will be fixed in JS CE 3.5 when it goes GA. This is likely to be by the end of April.

You said you were using "JS 3.5". I'm guessing that you're using JasperServer CE 3.5 RC1.

Regards,
Matt

• 5 months later...