We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Shouldn't fixed bugs be reported in Release Notes instead of in a Manual?

hozawa
Go to solution Solved by fcerbell,

I was just reading JasperReports Server 5.5 Install Guide and came to page 141.

"16.5.1.2 Workaround for Export bug in the 5.1 Release"

It's nice that Jaspersoft wrote about a bug in 5.1, but shouldn't this be written in 5.2 Release Note instead of here?

There absolutely nothing written in 5.2 Release Note about this. Are we expected to read the most recently manuals completely to find all the fixed bugs?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

Hi,

Well, I have split your question in 4 distinct points and I tried to answer each of them :

1 - The export bug in 5.1 was fixed. All the fixed bugs are not listed in each release note. Only the most important bugs.

2 - Page 141 of JRS 5.5 Install Guide does not say that the bug is fixed (even if it is). It gives a workaround to import a repository exported from JRS 5.1 web user interface. It is a process to follow, not a note, and it has to be in the Install or Admin guide.

3 - Why nothing in the releases note of JRS 5.2 : because of points 1 and 2

4 - Why nothing in JRS 5.2 Install Guide ? Maybe because the bug in 5.1 and/or its workaround for newer versions were discovered after 5.2 was released.

Regards

François

Thanks for the reply. When was the bug fixed? If it was discovered after 5.2 was released, do you mean it was fixed in 5.5.0? The bug is still in 5.2.0?

>All the fixed bugs are not listed in each release note. Only the most important bugs.

Concerning reply 1, why aren't all bugs reported in release note? Most other OSS projects do. They also cite the Tracking number in the bug tracking system so we all will be able to know exactly what bugs were fixed.

I have an user using 5.1 and they were having problem after moving their reports from their development environment.

I said "Maybe". It is just a possible explanation. And the releases notes are not here to list all the bugs closed. Their goal is to list the most significative and impacting changes since the last release. Of course, this could be improved. ;)