We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Jasper Studio FAQ

pjamrisk

Hi everyone,

I have been one of those many users always hoping for an eclipse plugin since the demise of the old ireport for eclipse.

Anyways, I been creating a Maven project with jasper studio, and Jasper reports for deployment in tomcat and realized that like many others I was not able to find where the palette was, and many other little things like it used to be on ireport or the netbeans plugin.

So, I decided to create this post for the most frequently asked questions, to amke it grow, and slowly clean it up so that all of us can patiently and orderly ask questions about this so we can all help each other to learn to use it here on eclipse.

Having said that here are the first few FAQ's.

1. Where is the palette?

This one took me about a week to find. when you are in the report perspective of eclipse, if you look right next to the ruler, at the very end there is a small arrow pointing to the right. click on it or drag it, and there are all your palette elements back again.

I myself think that this should be displayed by default, so everyone can see it first time and don't freak out when it is gone.

2. Where are my Properties?

if you do right click on the report perspective you can click on show properties, and this wonderful eclipse tab will appear. I would ask the developers to have the pallete show like the properties honestly. I did not like have the pallete only available inside the report window, and the properties on a separate one like it is here.

3. Where is the query Window?

Again, do Right click on the main report window in design mode, and select Datase and Query. Here you can go ahead and create the query statements for your report. Also here you can create the data adapters for the different databases available to you in iReport on the top right corner (big bold NEW button).

those 3 questions, seem to be the most asked right now. I believe everything else is getting re-implemented at this time, so I think patience from everyone will make the transition a lot better and faster. But answering this simple questions, I think will help all the newbies on recovering of the shock of not having to use iReport.

Now my personal questions right now are:

1. where is the report page that shows variables and Parameters, so we can define those as well as we go.?

I know I have not seen them yet, and you basically have to define them on the source code right now.

2. How to define database drivers in non maven projects?

I have no clue, if someone does, please post it. Maven you just define the drivers and Studio seemed to work just fine.

Patrick.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this post. I was about to throw out Jaspersoft Studio until you helped me find what I was looking for. For that, I will help you as well as I can.

1. I don't know about a specific screen that you can manipulate variables and parameters, but you can do it in the outline.

2. If you don't use Maven, you have to point to your JDBC .jar file In the DataAdapter wizard. On the screen after selecting Configure Database JDBC Connection to which you provide the connection string and user credentials, there is a Driver Classpath tab. On that tab, click Add and navigate to the .jar for your JDBC driver. I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

I hope that helps.

Post Edited by stuporman at 07/05/2012 22:03

Awesome, Thank you for the post. I haven't had a chance to run the updated versium much yet, but something did got fixed since I posted last and it was compiling the reports in eclipse. Besides that it seems to be working now for the most part. Also, thank you for the class path, that definetly did the trick for me as well after your post, so I wanted to reply and let you know. 

Not many people have posted here, but I hope we can continue making this post grow and keep adding new information to help other individuals.

you can drag palette outside the editor a Palette View will be created, you can drag view back if you don't like a separate view

you can go to Window->Show View -> Other select Palette , you will see Palette View, open it

you can manage all variables, parameters, from Outline View, Window->Show View->Outline, you can manage parameters from Dataset and Query dialog also

you can open Properties View from Window->Show View -> Properties, or you can right click on any element inside the report in context menu you have "Show Properties"

to open Query Dialog, right click inside the report, you will see "Dataset and Query" context menu, or you can select Report node in Outline View and look inside Dataset Page in properties view

you can set JDBC driver classpath inside DataAdapter Wizard, or Data Adapter will use project classpath settings