We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Jasper Server - Reporting

babs

HI,

I am using "community edition" of Jasper Server.  I am using MySql database. and IReport as report designer.

Please jasper guru clarify my questions :------ 

a> If using Community Edition of server, then MySql is the *ONLY* option for database. Community edition of Jasper Server WONT be able to talk to Oracle. Is it true ??

b> If using Community Edition of Jasper Server --- then deployment option is TOMCAT. You cannot deploy to Oracle Application server 10 g.  Is this true ??

c> We already have  developed a WEB application long back. It is developed using Microsoft ASP (Active Server Pages). It talks with Oracle (if community edition CANNOT talk to oracle, then we are willing to migrate our data to MySql ---- thats not a problem).  Currently users are accessing this web application and *HAPPY* about it.  SO what I am saying here is, we have a fully functional web application in place.

What we really want to add is just a *Reporting* facility to this existing application.

Meaning, we want those icons (Acrobat, Word, Excel, Flash etc) to appear on top left corner of every page of this existing web site. So whichever page user is, he simply clicks the icon of his choice and the report opens........... which user may choose to take printout.

I heard about  ""Using some tiny web service etc etc to GET those tiny icons on pages of your already existing web site........""

But what is that  tiny web service ?

Is there a existing code any guru has used that can help me ?

Does that mean, I can go ahead and keep our existing ASP application as it is and just add that web service code at appropriate places that gonna generate reports of every page. ?

Also, does that mean, I DO NOT even have to change the Sql calls os existing web application and DO NOT have to rewrite the applcation, since this *TINY* web service is going to do the trick of generating reports within existing web application ??

I did be happy to know if the case turns out tobe "YOU do not have to rewrite existing ASP application, simply add  1, 2, and 3 and whew ----   your existing application is   "REPORT- READY". Just click those tiny icons and there opens the report"

I am sure, GURU can help the novice, so we start in a RIGHT direction .

Thanks to all of you in advance !!!

babs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

babs
Wrote:

a> If using Community Edition of server, then MySql is the *ONLY* option for database. Community edition of Jasper Server WONT be able to talk to Oracle. Is it true ??

You can get your data for reports and OLAP from Oracle using JasperServer Community Edition. You only need to configure a data source with the right JDBC driver. Have a look in the user guide.

You can also use Oracle to store the JasperServer repository. Have a look in the developer guide to see how you can generate the database creation script. Jaspersoft also has a Professional Edition that includes support for Oracle.

b> If using Community Edition of Jasper Server --- then deployment option is TOMCAT. You cannot deploy to Oracle Application server 10 g.  Is this true ??

JasperServer is a plain Java WAR. Jaspersoft has JasperServer working with JBoss, Weblogic, WebSphere and Glassfish in our Professional Edition. You should be able to reconfigure the Community Edition WAR to work with OAS.

c> We already have  developed a WEB application long back. It is developed using Microsoft ASP (Active Server Pages). It talks with Oracle (if community edition CANNOT talk to oracle, then we are willing to migrate our data to MySql ---- thats not a problem).  Currently users are accessing this web application and *HAPPY* about it.  SO what I am saying here is, we have a fully functional web application in place.

What we really want to add is just a *Reporting* facility to this existing application.

Meaning, we want those icons (Acrobat, Word, Excel, Flash etc) to appear on top left corner of every page of this existing web site. So whichever page user is, he simply clicks the icon of his choice and the report opens........... which user may choose to take printout.

I heard about  ""Using some tiny web service etc etc to GET those tiny icons on pages of your already existing web site........""

But what is that  tiny web service ?

Is there a existing code any guru has used that can help me ?

Does that mean, I can go ahead and keep our existing ASP application as it is and just add that web service code at appropriate places that gonna generate reports of every page. ?

Also, does that mean, I DO NOT even have to change the Sql calls os existing web application and DO NOT have to rewrite the applcation, since this *TINY* web service is going to do the trick of generating reports within existing web application ??

I did be happy to know if the case turns out tobe "YOU do not have to rewrite existing ASP application, simply add  1, 2, and 3 and whew ----   your existing application is   "REPORT- READY". Just click those tiny icons and there opens the report"

I am sure, GURU can help the novice, so we start in a RIGHT direction .

Thanks to all of you in advance !!!

babs

Have a look at the Web Services guide. If you get the JasperServer source distribution, there are examples with PHP, JSP and C/C++ for using the JasperServer web services to do as you described above.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

Hi Swood and ALL,

Ok. Probably this is additional input I am giving to you. The application that has been already (that i talked about ) is developed using Active server pages and is a reporting application built on Actuate reporting tool.

So now the task is  "We wont be using Actuate anymore. SO Migrate that application from Actuate to Jasper. So now do you think, since Actuate component is removed, we need to rewrite the application using JasperSoft tools from scratch. ???

Web service API is of little use in our case ???

Just to clear doubts to reach a good decision point.

thanks,

babs

• 2 weeks later...

(Note: If you thank people like swood when they give you advice, they are more likely to help you again).

If you can find a way to bridge between ASP and Java, you could install JasperReports on your web server and create reports directly... however I think that would be making life difficult for yourself. Use the web services approach instead, as swood says. We have a PHP web server and a JasperServer server, and use the SOAP mechanism to generate reports and retrieve them back to the web server, so they can be sent to the user.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I have been spending some time to evaluate Jasperserver and found It's very much restricted to mysql db. However, when I see this post , I feel encourage to use jasper with Oracle. In fact my first assignment in my job is to incorporate jasperserver with oracle. I have seen a post where someone convert mysql script ddl file to Oracle ddl. I have very limited time. I would be very grateful if someone can provide me guide how to do that quickly or send me the file to my email asifisyed@gmail.com. In addition, what else to change to make jasperserver workable with Oracle.

Thanks.

Post Edited by asifisyed at 05/19/2009 05:25

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

i am new in jasperserver and trying to build jasperserver4.2.1 from its sources .I have downloaded jasperreports-server-cp-.2.1-src.zip file with jasperserver installation guide.

I got stuck in chapter 3, step 3.4.12 it says-

copy C:Program Files (x86)jasperreports-server-cp-4.2.1-srcjasperserverbuildomaticsample_conf

mysql_master.properties file to C:Program Files (x86)jasperreports-server-cp-4.2.1-srcjasperserverbuildomatic and rename it to default_master.properties.

Edit the new default_master.properties file and set the properties to your local settings:-- I have some confusion here does it required to set maven properties?

I have added Tomcat path already.

and in step 3.4.2 Refreshing your Buildomatic Settings i am not able to find clean-config and gen-config file in js-ant

In step 3.5 Building JasperReports Server im anot able to find this path--

<js-src>/jasperserver/buildomatic/build_conf/default

Can anyone help me to install Jasperserver4.2.1? I am giving you the code of default_master.properties file.

Code:

Post Edited by shatad0101 at 11/18/2011 06:00

Post Edited by shatad0101 at 11/18/2011 06:01