We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

How to tune Java / tomcat?

anandharaj

Hi,

Can anyone here help to on how to tune Java/Tomcat? Im been using JS quit some time ago but the only problem that im facing is "Java out of memory".

I have done some changes on JAVA " -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xss2m" and also the "fileVirtualizerFactory" in applicationContext.xml file.

Testing was done in 32bit and 64bit platform, Java 1.6.0_06 and Tomcat 6.0.16

Any expert here who can help me?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Anandharaj,

Hmm, I'm surprised your getting out of memory errors after bumping up your memory settings. I would definitely recomment 1024m or even more (particularly if you have a 64bit machine! ;-)

The heap space is the simplest thing to increase and should have the most impact.

If you take a look at the Install Guide, it has a section on JAVA_OPTS settings which has specific settings for garbage collection under 1.5 and 1.6.

Let me know if this helps.

-Tony

Hi,

Basically, if the expected report result is more than 10K rows, than i recieve this error.

So, whenever user want to extract huge report (rows = 50K), i will generate from backend..

When i generate huge report from JS, i monitor the process both JS and DB site, so basically DB return the result within 5 minutes, but then the JS (Java) not able to process the result and through the Java heap error.

How many pages is a report with 10K rows? The virtualizer caches on a page by page basis.

Are you using v3? There was a bug fixed that virtualized the exported content. In 2.1 and before, the exported content was all in memory until the export finished.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

• 3 months later...

As Sherman stated, JasperReports virtualizers work by virtualizing individual report output pages.  Therefore, if you disable pagination for a report, the output will consists of a single (very long) page, and virtualization would be ineffective for this reports.

For the moment (maybe we will change the virtualization process to cover non-paginated reports as well in the future), the only solution is to allocate sufficient JVM memory for the reports to run.

Regards,

Lucian

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...