We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Workbench startup error

shearerg

Hi all,

Not having much luck today.

Thought I'd try JasperAnalysis Workbench, as it should be a great tool if it can help me build useful cubes. Unfortunately, when I try to run under SUSE ES 10 it fails to start, giving an error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: mondrian/gui/Workbench (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)

Can anyone tell me what this means and how I can fix it?

As always, any suggestions appreciated!!

Could this be my Java release. I'm on 1.4.2 (which I thought would be OK), but 'readme.txt' specifies 1.5! I'll give that a go.

Greg Shearer

Post edited by: shearerg, at: 2007/05/21 03:35

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony,

Thanks for the reply, which was of course the correct answer! Ultimately though, still disappointed. I've installed latest JRE and get WorkBench to run OK .... but it doesn't seem to like the Ingres jdbc driver. I've placed the driver in the driver folder and set up the preferences as per my JasperServer data source which test OK.

Is there anything else I need to do that you're aware of??

Thanks,

Greg Shearer

Post edited by: shearerg, at: 2007/05/21 23:53

Continuing,

When trying to connect via the Ingres driver, the terminal window indicates:

'java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ca.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver'.

This didn't surprise me too much, as whenever I've used the jdbc driver before a class path entry needs to be made. Reading the Workbench pdf indicated this entry should be made in 'mondrian.properties'. I was surprised to find an example entry here for Ingres! So have completed details (as well as I can determine) .... and have tried various minor variations .... but still no luck!! After exiting and restarting Workbench following each change, the same error results.

I'm using the previous version of the Ingres jdbc driver (ca.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver), but I don't believe this should be an issue. I'm hoping this just has something to do with correctly configuring the class path.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Greg Shearer

You need to look at the readme.txt or the Workbench PDF in the docs directory. It states:

"Include your cube database’s JDBC driver in the drivers directory, so the Workbench can use it."

Sherman

JasperSoft

Post edited by: swood, at: 2007/05/22 02:09

Sherman,

Thanks for the reply, but as far as I'm aware all is configured as per readme.txt and the Workbench pdf. I've had the Ingres driver (iijdbc.jar) in place from the outset, and it shows as being registered in the terminal window start message. Have since installed JRE 1.5 and placed what I believe to be the correct entries for my Ingres database in mondrian.properties. No matter, I continue to get the ClassNotFoundException.

The Ingres driver works fine with iReport and JasperServer. I'm hoping there is some additional configuration required for Workbench which isn't yet highlighted in the documentation. Are there any critical environment variables I may have overlooked?

Thanks again,

Greg Shearer

Hmmm... let's try:

In your ${user.home}/.schemaWorkbench/mondrian.properties, add your driver class name into the setting for mondrian.jdbcDrivers

mondrian.jdbcDrivers=<otherDriverClassName1>,<otherDriverClassName2>,com.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver

Sherman

JasperSoft

Sherman,

Just out of interest ... shouldn't you be in bed?

Anyway, just checked, but had already made what I think are all required entries in mondrian.properties. Have listed them below.

mondrian.mdcdb.jdbcURL=jdbc:ingres://catnwm:II7/mdcdb

mondrian.jdbcDrivers=ca.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver

driver.classpath=/opt/CA/IngresII/ingres/lib

Have tried slight variations to above, such as using 'localhost' in place of the machine name, including iijdbc.jar on the end of driver.classpath, and setting driver.classpath to the Workbench driver folder ... but always get the same error.

Greg Shearer

On the subject of sleep, this sort of thing keeps me awake :laugh:

The ClassNotFound indicates that Mondrian is trying to do the right thing - looking for the given class on the classpath. You are using workbench.sh to run, right? If you print out the classpath in the script just before the call to Java, does it look correct?

PS. The Ingres team submitted the configuration and code changes for Mondrian a few months ago. As I mentioned on this forum recently, Ingres have been doing the port for Ingres to support Hibernate and JasperServer/Analysis.

Sherman

JasperSoft

Sherman,

Well picked!!! There's a bug in workbench.sh which is including the 'driver' folder name twice in the classpath. The script has been echoing this on startup but, to be honest, I had no real idea what should have been displayed. So as far as I can tell, this should be affecting anyone using workbench.sh?

Anyway, can fix the script by changing:

for i in `ls drivers/*.jar`; do

CP=$CP:drivers/$i

done

to

for i in `ls drivers/*.jar`; do

CP=$CP:$i

done

Alternatively, you could change the ls command.

All now works fine.

Thanks so much for your help.

I have no idea what to do next .... but that has never stopped me before!!!

Thanks again,

Greg Shearer

:)

--Edit--

Have just thought that this may not be a problem on all systems. Not that familiar with ls, although I would expect behaviour to be pretty much universal. Anyway, it is certainly a problem on SUSE ES 10.

Post edited by: shearerg, at: 2007/05/22 04:42

I'll fix that in the script and republish. It will effect anyone using that script.

As to what to do next, do you have an existing cube database? Define the preferences in the workbench to point to that, and you will be able to create a schema, dimensions and facts. Then you can test the schema with the MDX query screen. Once you are happy with that, you can publish the schema to JasperAnalysis via the maintenance screens and set up analysis views.

Enjoy, and thanks for the debugging!

Sherman

JasperSoft