We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

scriptlet

smith

hi,

Can anyone help me how to use scriptlets, i know we have to write java code to achieve certain conditions in designing report, but am confused a bit.

i need an example , like in which situation it is useful and an example scirptlet, it helps me a lot,

thanks to ur replies,

rgds,

smith.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am trying to add a scriptlet to my report . I added tools.jar to my library . The report is compiled , but on executing it (using an active connection) , I am encountering an error . The name of my report is transactionReportMT , that of the scriptlet is transactionReportMTScriptlet and the method involved is testMethod()

This the error I get - java.lang.NoSuchMethodError : transactionReportMTScriptlet.testMethod(I)Ljava/lang/String;

Code:
// Code for the method . This method is decalred just after the constructor of the //scriptlet classpublic java.lang.String testMethod(int i) throws JRScriptletException{   Integer var = (Integer) this.getFieldValue("format");   if (var.intValue()==1)      return "Type 1";  else      return "Type 2";}

I just went through the scriplet hassel myself.  How are you calling your scriptlet?  First, I couldn't get my scriptlet to work from the "scriplets" section on iReport.  I had to reference the class file from the "Scriptlet class" parameter on the report properties window.

1) Make sure you use the fully qualified name when referencing your class (e.g. com.myreports.myClass instead of myClass).

2) Import the following classes in your java code (you'll need to add the jasperreports-3.1.4.jar to your classpath)

import net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRDefaultScriptlet;
import net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRScriptletException;

extend the following class JRDefaultScriptlet

3) If not using the built in methods (e.g. afterReportInit() etc.), access your methods via the global report scriptlet like: $P{REPORT_SCRIPTLET}.testMethod(0)

That should do it.  I'm new to JasperReports, but I feel pretty experienced now that I've had to put about 10 reports together for a new CRM installation.  There are some wonderful features in the iReport/Jasper combo, but for a product that is as mature as this, there are too many bugs for my taste.  I've spent more time troubleshooting parameter passing, variable grouping, text formatting, and scriptlet issues than I have creating actual reports.

Oh well, I guess I can't complain ... it is free after all! :)

Good luck,

Mike

Mike, where did you put you class file?  I have a report named TestGraph.jrxml.  I've created a java file and compiled a class file named TestGraphScriptlet.java/.class respectively.  The fully qualified name is com.goldstar.scriptlets.TestGraphScriptlet.  I've placed the .class file into the same directory as the .jrxml file and I'm getting an error:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.goldstar.TestGraphScriptlet

Am I supposed to put the class file somewhere else?

Thanks!

Yeah, I ran into the same problem ... I figured that by placing it in the same directory as the report files it would be picked up in the classpath.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case (not sure why).  Anyway, within iReport you can add your jar file to the classpath.  Go to Tools -> Options -> Classpath tab.  Then click on the "Add Jar" button and reference your file.

That should do the trick.  As a side note, my report are being used in SugarCRM (via ZuckerReports).  When I uploaded my JAR with my report files, everything compiled just fine on the server (all in the same classpath).  In other words, you could probably get your class files picked up by updating your machine classpath to include the location of your new jar file as well.

Good luck!

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

From Jaspersoft web site, in: Home » Exchange » JasperReports® Library download jasperreports-6.6.0-project.tar.gz

Inside it under demo/samples/scriptlet are the following:

├── build.xml
├── docs
│   ├── defaultAnt.png
│   ├── index.xml
│   ├── jasperviewer.png
│   └── runServer.png
├── ivy.xml
├── readme.txt
├── reports
│   └── ScriptletReport.jrxml
└── src
    ├── ScriptletApp.java
    ├── Scriptlet.java
    └── SimpleExportProgressMonitor.java

readme.txt says:

You need to have the Apache Ant build tool correctly installed on your system and the Apache Ivy dependency management plugin installed in Ant, to easily run this sample application.

The Apache Ant build tool can be downloaded from this location: http://ant.apache.org/

The Apache Ivy dependency management plugin can be downloaded from this location: http://ant.apache.org/ivy/

Please follow their installing instructions to have Apache Ant and Apache Ivy working on your system before trying our sample application.

Once you have them installed, launch "ant -p" from the command line in this directory to learn more about what tasks you could run to build and test the sample.

On Debian the ant package comment is:

Apache Ant is a Java library and command-line tool whose mission is to drive processes described in build files as targets and extension points dependent upon each other. The main known usage of Ant is the build of Java applications. Ant supplies a number of built-in tasks allowing to compile, assemble, test and run Java applications. Ant can also be used effectively to build non Java applications, for instance C or C++ applications. More generally, Ant can be used to pilot any type of process which can be described in terms of targets and tasks.

And the ivy package comment is:

Ivy is a very powerful dependency manager oriented toward Java dependency management, even though it could be used to manage dependencies of any kind.

Install the above two packages.  Then when you run ant -p as they tell you in the readme.txt you get:

Buildfile: /home/howard/Downloads/Jaspersoft/Jasper Reports/jasperreports-6.6.0/demo/samples/scriptlet/build.xml
Shows how the scriptlets could be used to manipulate data during report filling.
Main targets:

clean          Deletes all the generated files.
 compile        Compiles the XML report design and produces the .jasper file.
 csv            Generates a CSV version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 decompile      Decompiles a .jasper file into a .jrxml file.
 docx           Generates a DOCX version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 fill           Fills the compiled report design with data and produces the .jrprint file.
 html           Generates an HTML version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 javac          Compiles the java source files of the test application.
 ods            Generates an ODS version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 odt            Generates an ODT version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 pdf            Generates a PDF version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 pptx           Generates a PPTX version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 print          Sends the report in the .jrprint file to the printer.
 rtf            Generates an RTF version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 test           Runs the sample.
 view           Launches the report viewer to preview the report stored in the .jrprint file.
 viewDesign     Launches the design viewer to preview the compiled report design.
 viewDesignXml  Launches the design viewer to preview the XML report design.
 viewXml        Launches the report viewer to preview the generated report stored in an XML file.
 writeApi       Generates a .java version of the report by converting the .jrxml file.
 writeApiXml    Generates a .jrxml version of the report by executing the API version of the report design.
 xls            Generates an XLS version of the report by converting the .jrprint file using the POI library.
 xlsx           Generates an XLSX version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 xml            Generates an XML version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
 xmlEmbed       Generates an XML version of the report by converting the .jrprint file.
Default target: test

Running ant test unfortunately gives:

Buildfile: /home/howard/Downloads/Jaspersoft/Jasper Reports/jasperreports-6.6.0/demo/samples/scriptlet/build.xml

test:
     [echo] ===================================
     [echo]  Scriptlet Sample
     [echo] ===================================

clean:

clean-sample:

javac:

prepare-compile-classpath:

compile:

BUILD FAILED
/home/howard/Downloads/Jaspersoft/Jasper Reports/jasperreports-6.6.0/demo/samples/scriptlet/build.xml:111: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/howard/Downloads/Jaspersoft/Jasper Reports/jasperreports-6.6.0/demo/samples/scriptlet/build.xml:11: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/howard/Downloads/Jaspersoft/Jasper Reports/jasperreports-6.6.0/demo/samples/build.xml:40: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/howard/Downloads/Jaspersoft/Jasper Reports/jasperreports-6.6.0/build.xml:14: Problem: failed to create task or type antlib:org.apache.ivy.ant:configure
Cause: The name is undefined.
Action: Check the spelling.
Action: Check that any custom tasks/types have been declared.
Action: Check that any <presetdef>/<macrodef> declarations have taken place.
No types or tasks have been defined in this namespace yet

This appears to be an antlib declaration.
Action: Check that the implementing library exists in one of:
        -/usr/share/ant/lib
        -/home/howard/.ant/lib
        -a directory added on the command line with the -lib argument

Total time: 0 seconds

ant clean gives:

clean:

clean-sample:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL

ant compile also fails:

compile:

prepare-compile-classpath:

compile:

BUILD FAILED
/home/howard/Downloads/Jaspersoft/Jasper Reports/jasperreports-6.6.0/demo/samples/scriptlet/build.xml:15: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/howard/Downloads/Jaspersoft/Jasper Reports/jasperreports-6.6.0/demo/samples/build.xml:40: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/howard/Downloads/Jaspersoft/Jasper Reports/jasperreports-6.6.0/build.xml:14: Problem: failed to create task or type antlib:org.apache.ivy.ant:configure
Cause: The name is undefined.
Action: Check the spelling.
Action: Check that any custom tasks/types have been declared.
Action: Check that any <presetdef>/<macrodef> declarations have taken place.
No types or tasks have been defined in this namespace yet

This appears to be an antlib declaration.
Action: Check that the implementing library exists in one of:
        -/usr/share/ant/lib
        -/home/howard/.ant/lib
        -a directory added on the command line with the -lib argument

Not sure which name they mean? 

So they say to check, and for me in /usr/share/ant/lib I'm seeing the following files:

ant-antlr.jar
ant-apache-bcel.jar
ant-apache-bsf.jar
ant-apache-log4j.jar
ant-apache-oro.jar
ant-apache-regexp.jar
ant-apache-resolver.jar
ant-apache-xalan2.jar
ant-commons-logging.jar
ant-commons-net.jar
ant.jar
ant-javamail.jar
ant-jdepend.jar
ant-jmf.jar
ant-jsch.jar
ant-junit4.jar
ant-junit.jar
ant-launcher.jar
ant-swing.jar
ant-testutil.jar
jsch.jar
junit.jar

Is this what they mean by "the implementing library"?

.. I'm lost and don't know where to go from here... ???