Hello World Scriptlet Example:Error "cannot be resolved to a type"

I am trying to follow the tutorial Hello World Scriptlet Example by Sadakar Pochampalli.

After following all the instructions, once i try to compile and run the report i get the error below.

Help greatly appreciated!!

net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRException: Errors were encountered when compiling report expressions class file:
    1. com.sadakar.jasper.Test4 cannot be resolved to a type
                value = ((com.sadakar.jasper.Test4)parameter_Hello_SCRIPTLET.getValue()).hello(); //$JR_EXPR_ID=8$
                          <---------------------->
    2. com.sadakar.jasper.Test4 cannot be resolved to a type
                value = ((com.sadakar.jasper.Test4)parameter_Hello_SCRIPTLET.getValue()).hello(); //$JR_EXPR_ID=8$
                          <---------------------->
    3. com.sadakar.jasper.Test4 cannot be resolved to a type
                         <---------------------->
    3 errors
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.design.JRAbstractCompiler.compileReport(JRAbstractCompiler.java:206)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.eclipse.builder.JasperReportCompiler.compileReport(JasperReportCompiler.java:294)
        at com.jaspersoft.studio.editor.preview.view.control.ReportControler.compileJasperDesign(ReportControler.java:465)
        at com.jaspersoft.studio.editor.preview.view.control.ReportControler.access$15(ReportControler.java:442)
        at com.jaspersoft.studio.editor.preview.view.control.ReportControler$5.run(ReportControler.java:356)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

dstevens_2's picture

3 Answers:

Theres a nice tutorial video on scriptlets "TIBCO Jaspersoft: Using Scriptlets inside TIBCO Jaspersoft Studio and JasperReports"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Hv6DrwrhQ&t=6s&index=1&list=PLRran9THV...

Maybe this can help you determine where it went wrong.

vchiem's picture

Thank you for the swift response.

I think the problem is configuring my jar files, and this particular tutorial doesn't cover that part.

If you have any good references for the configuration step I'd greatly appreciate that.

dstevens_2's picture

I remembered getting issues following this example too... whether or not its exactly this error but I think it was similar. 

I believe there's a mistake in one of the steps.. 

3) Add Jasper Server jar file to Project Path

This step applies to the Java project.. The jar file mentioned is 'Jar File Name : jasperreports-pro-6.0.0.jar' but this is not right. It should be jasperreports-6.3.0.jar (for 6.3) or  jasperreports-6.2.0.jar as per the screenshot in the following step. 

As my Studio is not where the server is, I copied the  jasperreports-6.3.0.jar from server and place it locally and load that in the project path. 

Step 5 and 6a are important. Once you have exported your test.jar, step 6a should be done for "MyReports" not for the java project.

vchiem's picture
Feedback
randomness