We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Latest Studio version under EPL, where is the source code?

unmak1

Hello there,

I've noticed latest Jasper studio comes with this license

immagine.png.40ccc0ec14810155178f72c077d11fac.png

the Eclipse Public License requires the release of the source code, so where is the source code of the latest Jasper Studio?

Is this version a mix of various licenses? Only a part is under EPL? Still where I can find the source code?

I would like to have an answer before asking the EFF to check this situation.

Thank you

• Like 2

Dear TIBCO decision-makers, Jaspersoft employees, Theodor.

The decision and measures to pull the plug on the Jasperreports open source world practically overnight came as a surprise. I can't look behind the decisions, I can only guess at the reasons.

Jasperreports, Jaspersoft Studio, iReport, Jasperserver. A success story of the open source philosophy, which I have been accompanying, supporting and propagated as part of the community for over 15 years.

Jaspersoft's strengths compared to other BI software vendors are its open-source nature, integrability, and flexibility to switch between free and commercial models as needed.

Even though it is said that Jasperreports and Jaspersoft Studio will remain open source, I am not sure that the decision-makers at TIBCO are aware of the consequences of their decision, as well as the surprising way in which it is implemented. All the customers I talk to now ask the same question: Is it the right decision to use or continue to use Jasperreports (with or without Jasperreports Server)? Can one rely on it at all?

I'm really not sure if you're completely aware of the level of loss of trust in Jasperreports, Jaspersoft, and TIBCO that you've caused with your decision? The damage you are doing to the open source world and not least to your own software is significant!

My feeling is that in the future there will be far fewer customers switching to a commercial license of the Jasperreports server or even dealing with Jasperreports. I also seriously wonder if an expert can still advise this with a clear conscience?

As someone who has been accompanying, applying and recommending Jasperreports for such a long time, I can only say how sad it is for me to see the life's work of Theodor and his colleagues disappear in this way.

I would be very surprised if this approach and new situation gives the software the certainly desired boost and flushes the intended finances into TIBCO's coffers. But I keep my fingers crossed and wish the very best!

A very disappointed, long-time Jasperreports advocate.

Thomas Zimmer (Germany)

http://thomaszimmer.net

http://jasper-schulungen.de

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Thomas Zimmer said:

Even though it is said that Jasperreports and Jaspersoft Studio will remain open source

I have doubts Jasper Studio community is Open Source even if the latest release have an EPL license, since I can't find the source repo.

Because the first thing I'll do will be the removal of the mandatory login and all the tracking and make a fork under EPL.

One of Jasper people wrote me an email, let's see if they give me feedback about this.