We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Jasperreports 8 (all versions) installation failed with non-root user

l.falcioni

Hello,

I'm having some issues installing the JasperReports v8 product with non-root user jasper on RedHat OS.

I have RedHat 9.3, and when installing the Jasper, I get the following error:

Installing
 0% ______________ 50% ______________ 100%
 ########################################Warning: Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete
correctly
 Error running /home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/buildomatic/js-ant
import-minimal-ce:      [exec] Result: 128
     [copy] Warning: Could not find file
/home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/buildomatic/conf_source/templates/keys
tore-configuration.xml to copy.

BUILD FAILED
/home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/buildomatic/bin/import-export.xml:276:
 The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/buildomatic/bin/import-export.xml:168:
 Java returned: 255

Looking on the installation logs, I see the following:

Script stderr:
 /bin/sh: line 1: /home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/postgresql/bin/psql: No such file or directory

Error running /home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/postgresql/bin/psql -U postgres -d jasperserver -c "\q": /bin/sh: line 1: /home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/postgresql/bin/psql: No such file or directory

And also:

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'aclCache' defined in file [/home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/buildomatic/conf_source/ieCe/applicationContext.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'cacheManager' while setting bean property 'cacheManager'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'cacheManager' defined in file [/home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/buildomatic/conf_source/ieCe/applicationContext.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is net.sf.ehcache.CacheException: java.io.IOException: Permission denied

I don't understand why. The whole /home/jasper folder has permissions for the jasper user, so why wouldn't I have permissions?

Also, when using the root user, I don't get any issues, so it is probably permission related.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi
You need to login as non-root jasper user to your instance and make sure the user has rights to install the software and access to the folders where software is installed i.e. /opt  or /local and other required folders for installation. Refer to below article. The error you are seeing is related to permission, and if you have correct permission for the jasper user, you should be able to install the same.

Thanks.

Hello Jiman,

yes, I already checked the post you shared, but unfortunately I can't find where the process is breaking.

The error log points at folder 

/home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/

for missing permissions, but I can't understand why, since that whole folder has jasper:jasper and the user can access it freely.

Do you know what the issue may be?

I tried installing the product on a series of other VMs, even other OS like Ubuntu, but I get the same exact error when not using a non-root user.

Best regards,

Leonardo

Hello Jiman,

a quick update, I tried performing a custom installation and avoided the sample data, that was causing the issue, and now I get a different error:

Error running /home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/buildomatic/js-ant
import-minimal-ce:      [exec] Result: 128
     [copy] Warning: Could not find file
/home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/buildomatic/conf_source/templates/keys
tore-configuration.xml to copy.

I tried looking at this post: 

but unfortunately it talks about operations to perform after the product's installation, while to me the error is presented during the installation.

Think you could help?

Best regards,

Leonardo

On 12/22/2023 at 12:40 AM, l.falcioni said:

Hello Jiman,

yes, I already checked the post you shared, but unfortunately I can't find where the process is breaking.

The error log points at folder 

/home/jasper/jasperreports-server-cp-8.1.1/

for missing permissions, but I can't understand why, since that whole folder has jasper:jasper and the user can access it freely.

Do you know what the issue may be?

I tried installing the product on a series of other VMs, even other OS like Ubuntu, but I get the same exact error when not using a non-root user.

Best regards,

Leonardo

1. Not sure. This seems something environment specific, where you seems to have some restriction with non-root user. 

Do you have SELinux enabled? That might be adding more restrictions to non-root user, and if so, you can try disabling the same.

2. Ideally this error shouldn't have anything to do with sample data, but if without that you are getting different error, it could be still related to permission issue. If not, did you try the solution provided in the referred article by adding kestore.init.properties file in the buildomatic folder? If it's there, it will be copied over to WEB-INF/classes and will use that to refer to keystore files. This is only needed if you have existing kestore file and installation isn't creating the same.