We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Report Design Not Valid

Mictog
Go to solution Solved by Mictog,

Good Day, 

I am experiencing an issue where my report is telling me it is not valid when loaded into the software (OHM).  I use iReport 5.6 for developent purposes.  In the development environment I get no warnings or errors when I am working on or view the report.  Only when I try to read/render it in the final software.

The error is:   Report Design Not Valid, then I proceed to get 10 detail errors.  As they are all (almost) exactly the same I will just list one here:

5. Element outside list contents width x=0, width=651, list contents width=569 

I understand all of the errors, I realize that they are telling me that in my list element (or more than one) there are internal elements that exceed the width and should be corrected.  However, there are some things which do not add up (no pun intended).

* I have reviewed the JRXML in both visual mode and xml mode.  None of my list elements are 569 in width.

* I have reviewed each of the list elements and the internal items in each list element; none of the width values exceed the defined value of the list element

* The visual representation of the report does not report any out of bounds errors; this does work as I intentionally created an error to see.

I also have table elements, I have looked at these too, but do not see an issue.  Could these be the problem?  Could it be that I have column widths that exceed the table width?

Thank you for you assistance

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually this error message means that your elements are located somewhere out of bounds where they should be located (main report pane, out of frame while being technically in frame, etc.)

To troubleshoot I'd recommend creating a new report and copy the grouping element like List to it, try to run the report with just the List. Then do the same for table. Also doubleclicking on the error sometimes points you to the offending element.

Friendly User & dohungnd94,

Thank you for your advice.  My issue is not in the iReports 5.6.0 interface.  It does not show any "out of bound errors" in this particular report.  Out of bound errors do show up here normally (i created some just to be sure).  Given that, I followed the advice and checked each individual band separately.  Again, iReports showed no errors, but the end software (UL's OHM) did throw out of bound errors.  For each of these separate band reports I corrected the out of bound errors and successfully loaded the reports.

After having a set of successful individual reports I put the (corrected) bands back into a single report and tested as I added each.  I got to the last band which contains two (2) lists and it fails.  Again, the error is cryptic at best:

An unexpected error has occurred.  Please make note of this effor and contact technical support

Error Messsage:  Report desing not valid:

1. Element reaches outside the list contents:  x = 0, width = 571, list ocntents widh = 570

repeat up to error 10...

Again, I completely understand the error.  I go in and correct the element size as needed; save the file; and re-import; only to receive the error again.  The frustrating part of this is that I cannot even be sure that iReports is fixing the errors as I make the changes!  I have made the same corrections multiple times both within the U/I and directly in the XML (using the internal viewer in the U/I).

Where am I going wrong? 

Thank you for any additional assistance.  I can attach the jrxml if that would be at all helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Sorry to have been away, I would like to update future readers on what I had to do to fix this.  Thank you to Friendly User 387 for pointing me in the right direction.  I did tear apart the report by actually creating 5 sepearate reports from the original, leaving the Group Footers and datasets for each one in a singular report until I found the issue.  Once found, I put the corrected versions all back into a single report (cut and paste).  However...

With each test report I adjusted the elements within the frame as I was told in the error reporting from the user software (not the development software--iReport). Once they all worked individually, I cut and pasted them one at a time back to a new repport.  However, this is where it got tricky, elements in footers which worked independently broke when added to others which were in place.  What it came down to was that the group footer elements all needed the same size settings as others on the report.  

It was a bit crazy and I am not completely confident that if I edit the report for any reason in the future that the size settings will hold and compile successfully without manipulation.  But for now, I have a solution.

Thank you all.