Using Domains in Studio

bplummer
Go to solution Solved by va_mateiko,

Hi,

I had created a domain in JRS, and I want to access it for a report built in Studio.  I create a data adapter that points to the same data source as the domain, then create the report.  In the report's Properties, I click the Edit query, filter and sort options button, and select domain in the dropdown.  My Domain's fields populate the left panel, and I drag selected fields to Fields in the right panel.  Then click Get Fields, and the bottom panel is populated.  But when I go to the Data Preview tab, there is no data.  Also when I drag the fields onto the report form and click the Preview tab, the message is "Document is Empty".

Is this a know issue with Domains in Studio?

Thanks - Betty

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to use the domain as a virtual data source. You can do this by adding a new JRS server installation in the Repository Explorer view, under the Servers node.

After that, add your new virtual data source. Right-click an existing folder to see the context menu, then choose New > Data Sources > Virtual Data Source.

Regards,
Ilona

Hi Ilona,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by virtual data source. From my report, it allows me to choose an existing domain as a data source, and it sees the fields in the domain, but it won't pull back any on the data. I have verified that the data adapter is seeing the database correctly.

Betty

@bplummer since Domains are managed by the server studio has no way to preview the data locally unless you deploy the report in JasperServer.

To preview Domain Reports in JSS, deploy the report to Jasperserver from Studio, go to the Repository explorer, right click in the report unit in the repo list and choose "Run in Server".

Studio will run that report in the server (where the domain exisit) and show you the results in the IDE.

• Solution
Unfortunately JSS and iReport didn't have such functionality to preview data from domains but the the future versions of JSS will contain query executer with name "Domain JRS" which allows to make preview in "DataSet and query dialog" and also in report preview tab. All what you should do is to select "Domain JRS" in the datasources drop down list of the query dialog.