We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

XML Datasource, Table and getting null values

giskard

Hi guys, im totally new to ireport. I have read a few guides...but i cant find enough xml info as i would find on sql.

My problem is a simple table. Im using the addressbook example as xml datasource. Im trying to display the attribute name in a table, but im getting null values, no matter what node I use ill get the same result, its kinda weird because I get the exactly number of rows in each node (for example is I use the xpath for name ill get 2, if I use the xpath for lastname ill get 4) but with null values.

This is what im using for firstname:

((net.sf.jasperreports.engine.data.JRXmlDataSource)$P{REPORT_DATA_SOURCE}).dataSource("/addressbook/category/person/firstname")

What Im doing wrong? Thanks a lot!

If you recommend a ireport guide for xmls it will help a lot :D Thanks again!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, given the number of questions on the topic, I have to absolutely find the time to write a good tutorial about using XML with iReport/Jaspersoft Studio and JasperReports.

Anyway, let's say you have an xml of type:

A
+-- B
       +-- C
       +-- C
       +-- C
+---B
       +-- C
       +-- C
       +-- C

The main xpath query should be /A/B so you can use each node B as record for the master report.

For tables, list or subreports we want to print the C nodes of the current B node, so the datasource expression will be:

$P{REPORT_DATA_SOURCE}).subDataSource("/B/C")

in the context of the node B, creates a data source with elements of type /B/C

For your reference:

http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/api/net/sf/jasperreports/engine/data/JRXmlDataSource.html

Giulio