SEARCH in LOV

ramandeep1980

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raman,

In general that's a reasonable enhancement request. Can you please add more details about what you need?

For example, you can run the report "Customer Overview Report" found in /SuperMart Demo/Details that ships with the JasperServer Pro evaluation install. This report has a single dropdown with lots of customer names.

When you are selecting one customer from this long list, it's easy to jump to the customer you want. For example, type 'r' to jump down to the first customer name starting with 'r'. Or 'rrr' to find the third 'r customer. Or 'rin' to find the first customer that starts with 'rin'. (This is mostly possible due to functionality built in to the browser.)

Clearly there's lots of other search options JasperServer could conceivably add. What searching features do you think are important? What would be the basic user interface you have in mind?

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for responding.I have gone through those reports mentioned by you and I am very well aware of this feature of Jasper as i am using it for long time.

What I am looking for is something different.

It consists of 2 features:-

a.A search BAR where when we type name of customer,Only customer names having those letters start coming/showing up.This can be gradual or can wait for user to press ENTER.By gradual i mean dynamic selection. Discoverer Reports has this feature , where u can write customer name and press enter and names with those initals will come up.

b.This one is more creative.This can be used in case of Multi-Select.

We can have one blank space on right side of customer list, where we can drag and drop the customer name after selecting them from the customer list using search option.

This will be more useful in case we have to multi-select few customer names from LONG list of customers.Thus search option will be usful in finding those customers and this blank space will be useful in storing them while user is looking for another customer name.

Please do let me know what you think of these options :)

Regards,

Raman

Those are definitely valid examples. Some complexity arises in how you trigger them.

By that I mean there are lots of times when you don't want to have a search built in. Searching among 3 values is silly. So what is the mechanism to let the report designer choose when to use the 'normal' input control and when to use the 'deluxe searchable' input control.

The multi-select idea sounds more like it might be better in nearly all cases. Dragging your individual items could be easier than Ctrl+Clicking for nearly every use case. This idea could actually be separated from the search idea. It would be useful whether or not an improved search ability were added.

Please enter them into the tracker to be considered. The more detail you are able to add, the more likely you are to see some action. And posting the tracker number(s) here so that others are reminded to vote them up can't hurt either.

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt,
Thank you Matt for considering the other idea about multi-selecting in more easier way.

About LOV(list of values) idea,We can have an extra LOV option with SEARCH criteria included in it instead of having SEARCH
option separately.I have actually implemented that on my portal page while using Jasper at backend but it would be better
if we can use Jasper's function completely without using portal's functionality.We had attached a search Bar at the top of
LOV where when we write anything the LOV starts getting chosen.

Regards,
Raman

Post Edited by at 02/01/2010 09:51

• 4 weeks later...