We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

iReport Ultimate Giude (new)

Giulio Toffoli

iReport Ultimate Giude

The guide is a continuous work in progress, but with its more than 250 pages, the current version covers pretty much all the topics  required to productively design reports without wasting time trying to guess how iReport and JasperReports work.

http://www.jaspersoft.com/images/Estore_icons_buttons/detail_Doc_iReport.jpg

The guide is NOT free. It costs $49.95, but it will make you save a lot of time, expecially if you are a newbie.

The latest JR/iR ultimate guides are now available on the Support Portal and eShop. They cover versions 3.7. In addition to copyedits and cleanup, the new content includes:
Changes in the iReport Ultimate Guide:
  - New graphical cover page (care of Marketing)
  - Updated java version in requirements
  - Updated the distributions list
  - New chapter: Installing iReport on Mac OSX
  - Updated the wizards steps
  - Updated bands definition (multi-details, multi group header and footer)
  - Added info about the new Page Format window
  - Added info about the new bands and the split type option, multibands, keep together property, and footer position property
  - Updated images
  - Installing a Query Executer
  - New chapter: Fusion components
  - List Component
  - Fix for 14519

Changes in the JasperReports Ultimate Guide:
 - New graphical cover page (care of Marketing)
  - Technical changes reflected throughout
  - XLS Data Source
  - ODS, DOCX, and XLSX Exporter
  - DejaVu fonts
  - Footer group position
  - Preventing groups from splitting
  - Crosstab enhancements

Thanks for using iReport and learn it.

Giulio

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just purchased and downloaded the book, so I could learn iReport as quickly as possible.  I have found an error that caused me a lot of confusion.

On page 38, it speaks of setting the expression scripting language by going to the document Outline view and choosing your language.  The language actually seems to be set by going to Tools->Options, General tab, Reports sub-tab and there selecting the Language.  Wasted a lot of time searching for the right place to change it.

Also, reading further, on pages 54 and 55, refers to "Properties" and a dialog box where one can create new "Properties", but it doesn't say where to open the dialog box.  I can't find anything that refers to "Report Proteries" and looks anything like what's in the ebook.

Apparently, there has been a new type of Hyperlink added, ReportExecution, which is not mentioned in the ebook.  Will there be an update in the near future to address this?

Chapter 17, Internationalization, is obviously severely out of date.  This chapter needs to be updated.  It is a subject very important to my project

Help!

Post Edited by laceja at 07/03/2010 21:16

• 2 weeks later...

hi guilio,

I need one simple solution. I want to keep one variable through sql which calculates for adding or multiplication. How can i do it ? please do the needful help. I will soon buy this pdf ireport ultimate guide.

efshafi

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

laceja:

pp 54-55, I found how you get to the Properties dialog that lets you add new properties.  In the Report Inspector, left-click on the topmost level of the tree, which is the name of the report itself.  You can either right click and select "Properties" or you can look in the Properties pane if you have it docked.  Either way, you should see that one of the Properties is actually called "Properties" (mine shows "3 Values Set").  If you then click on the standard "..." button, it opens up the dialog box in question that lists additional parameters and lets you add, delete, or modify them.  I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like, and surrounded the more interesting bits in red boxes.

p38, Much like the previous example, I had no problem finding the place where you define the expression scripting language.  Left click the name of the report in the report inspector, then either right click and select "Properties" or just look in the Properties pane.  There's a property called "Language" that has a dropdown control where you can select "Java", "Groovy", or "JavaScript".  That's how you set the language for the individual report you're working on.  Again, I've attached a screenshot.  I believe the method you described in your post is how to change the DEFAULT language for all reports that you create in the future...it's an actual setting in iReport as opposed to in the jrxml.

p95 mentions the ReportExecution type of Hyperlink in the section called "Hyperlink Type" (maybe my version of the Ultimate Guide is newer?  I got my version on Mar 22, 2010).  That type of Hyperlink is used for "Drill Down" reports, where a hyperlink runs another report, potentially passing that report some parameters.

I don't know enough about Internationalization in iReport to comment on your observation that Chapter 17 is "severly out of date". I'll take it on faith.

Carl