We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Jasper Reports demo folder documentation initiativ

hq4ever

Hello Guys,

I would like to share with you a couple of posts I've made, while I'm learning a bit more about Jasper for our current project.

I think that the demo folder is a great resource to learn how to work with Jasper but it lacks documentation that pin point important aspects in each demo.

Thereof, I've written a post about this which index can be found here

bytecoded.blogspot.com/2009/12/jasper-reports-demo-files-index.html

So far I've managed to document only the subreport example which can be found here

bytecoded.blogspot.com/2009/12/jasperreports-370demosamplessubreport.html

I hope that this will be of use to anyone :).

// Forum admins: if this post is considered inappropriate for the forum I would understand a deletion.

Post Edited by hq4ever at 12/15/2009 12:10

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'll link to your documentation page from the list of articles that we keep track of on our JR website.

The JR website will be subject to refactoring soon.

Thanks,

Teodor

P.S. Actually, I think I'll wait a little, so that you add some more samples to your list. You only have one now.

;-)

Post Edited by teodord at 12/16/2009 10:08

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I found this idea of documenting all the JR samples very interesting and I have decided we should put the basis for this new type of documentation in the JR project itself.

I have created the infrastructure in the project so that each sample has a docs subfolder containing documented features present in that particular sample. The documentation is in XML format and it is transformed to HTML using XSLT from the projects main build Ant file.

If you get the latest version of the JR project source files from SVN head, you'll be able to execute the "sampleref" Ant task in the root folder and this will produce a new type documentation in the /dist/docs folder of the project, called JasperReports Sample Reference.

A first glimpse of this new type of documentation can be found here:

http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/sample.reference.html

Only one sample is fully documented for now, all the others being stubs:

http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/sample.reference/alterdesign/index.html

I invite you all to contribute to this new type of documentation by trying to explain features you have used yourself in your work with JasperReports, for the benefit of other users in the future. You could submit your contribution as patches on our project trackers. Your name will be mentioned in the list of authors for each documented sample.

Thank you,

Teodor