We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Reducing the number of labels on a line chart

svenn

We have a report with a line chart. If there are too many points in the reporting period it becomes impossible to read the labels on the X axis. How do other people deal with this issue? We do not want to reduce the amount of data that we show on the chart as we might loss critical information.

I was thinking about using a condition expression to reduce the amount of labels on the chart but when I look at the chart components I cannot see a place to do this.

Post Edited by svenn at 05/21/2009 00:16

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

svenn,

Since you mention having too many "reporting period" points, it sounds like your data is date or timestamp based. Try using a Timeseries chart instead of a standard line chart. This should automatically handle the display of the date axis for you.

Regards,
Matt

Yes the graph shows timestamps on the X axis. I'm not sure if a time series chart is going to work. I tried changing the value from day/hour/minute. The problem is if I go to a higher value (hour -> day for example)  the graph cleans up nicely but I loss precision. If I go to a lower value I wondering if I will run into the same labeling issue. Right now I’m testing with 7 hours worth of data (50 data points). I will need to download a larger range from our production server to test further.