number of days between two dates

donbowden

Hi everyone!

I need to have a conditional statement that finds the number of days between two dates.  If the second date is null, then  it should calculate the the number of days between the first date and the current date, but if the second date is not null then return the actual number of days between the two dates.  From what I can determine, I know I need to manipulate the data types but I have not been able to find the right syntax to make it work. 

($F(DateType2) != null) ? New Date() - $F(DateType1)  : $F(DateType2) - $F(DateType1)

Much thanks for any help in resolving this issue.

Don

Code:
($F(DateType2) != null) ? New Date() - $F(DateType1)  : $F(DateType2) - $F(DateType1)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible solution:

new Integer( (int) ( ($F{DateType2}.getTime() - $F{DateType1}.getTime()) / (1000*60*60*24) )

This calculate the date difference in millisecs and return the integer result.
It does not consider partial days and so on.

Another solution is to write a custom helper class to perform the calculation with more accuracy.

Giulio

Hi Giulio,

Thank you for your response.  I attempted your line of code and received the following error.  First let's review the actual code used with the actual field names:

new Integer( (int) ( ($F{MORTAPPLYDATE}.getTime() - $F{CONTRACTDATE}.getTime()) / (1000*60*60*24) )

Next is the following error as reported in the "Report Problems Window":

Errors compiling N:JasperSoft iReportReportsProspectMasterList9.jasper!
Compilation exceptions: com.jaspersoft.ireport.designer.compiler.ErrorsCollector@830ed5  net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRException: Errors were encountered when compiling report expressions class file: org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed, calculator_ProspectMasterList_1239763427882_470676: 284: unexpected token: } @ line 284, column 9. 1 error      at net.sf.jasperreports.compilers.JRGroovyCompiler.compileUnits(JRGroovyCompiler.java:92)     at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.design.JRAbstractCompiler.compileReport(JRAbstractCompiler.java:192)     at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperCompileManager.compileReport(JasperCompileManager.java:219)     at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperCompileManager.compileReportToFile(JasperCompileManager.java:135)     at com.jaspersoft.ireport.designer.compiler.IReportCompiler.run(IReportCompiler.java:538)     at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:561)     at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:986)
Compilation running time: 391!

Thank you again for your asistance.  BTW, I have purchased and read your book and it provided much assistance.

Regards,

Don