Slow Resize

phantastes

Hi,

I've been using iReport for a while now and only resently started having problem when wanting to resize a field. When resizing a field using click and drag the field has a very delayed redraw. Has anyone else run into this? I'm using 2.0.5 at the moment and it has been working fine up untill recently. Any suggestions what this could be?

Magnus Fiore Palm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I ran into the same issue quite unexpectedly during a live demo. Dragging and dropping, resizing, and even selecting items took 5 to 15 seconds to complete.

An internet search for NetBeans and performance resulted in my fix.

I added the following as an environment variable. The -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false option turns off DirectDraw. The rest manage memory. I got this tip from http://performance.netbeans.org/howto/jvmswitches/index.html. I'm running iReport for NetBeans 3.1.2 on Windows. I hope it works for you on 2.0.5.

JAVA_OPTS=-Xms128m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xss2m -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Xverify:none

Mary

Code:

Post Edited by Mary Flynn at 12/17/08 18:31

Post Edited by Mary Flynn at 12/17/08 21:15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for putting me on the right track Mary!

I found that adding the environment variable

_JAVA_OPTIONS with the value

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

solved it for me.

I found that solution here irui.ac/archives/2005/12/04/solving-java-and-directdraw-problems

Magnus

Post Edited by Magnus Fiore Palm at 01/14/09 17:35

Post Edited by Magnus Fiore Palm at 01/14/09 17:38

Mary & Magnus,

These are excellent tips. I have one follow-up point. You both mention setting "environment variables". This is fine, but you should also be aware that you can set these same options in <ireport_dir>/etc/ireport.conf. That let's you tweak iReport without changing anything else on the machine.

Regards,
Matt

While we are in rhe java options, I also use this option, found on this forum , for the problem of version "compatibility" which makes that reports created with iReport previous versions and edited with new versions generates at run time errors with message like "UTF byte sequence error" :

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

As said by Matt, I add this option in the etc/config/ireport.conf file.

I just have tested with the new release iReport 3.1.3 and it seems to work.

I would speak about another trouble I get while drawing on crosstab objects. Since 3.1.2 release(I think), it is very hard to resize the rightest border of a crosstab by click,drag and stretch : sometimes it works, sometimes the border remains unchanged. It is easier to increase to the right the size of the cells, but I have to try and try and try to decrease the size of the crosstab. After a lot of tries, suddenly it works (once!) but I cannot analyse which specific action or environment that triggers that.

It is not blocking but not nervously exciting!!!

Has somebody already got the same trouble?.