We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

CRUD functionality in reports

berniunas

Hi,

I need some advise. Is it possible or how it is possible to get CRUD functionality using JasperReports. I have a report which and the end-users needs to update/insert/delete some record. Does somebody knows the solution?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this could be useful feature because there are a lot of different tasks which require this functionality.

eg. i have made a report and the end user asks me to add possibility to edit data. So i means that i need to write another application.

So my question is do you plan to add this functionality or maybe integrate eg. with JBoss Seam?

Thanks in advance!

I am a little unclear about what the specific functionality is. It sounds like users can simply add new rows directly to the database and then this new info would be displayed in the JasperReport. (ie if there is updated sales data for instance).

You could also add the feature to the enhancement/feature requests for JasperServer which will get reviewed as part of the roadmap work.

I'm working with financial reports. There are some reports when it is important to send a report to the eg. taxman and if there is some errors in eg. balance report the user want to fix those errors and send the report. Later of course he will fix in the primary system from which the data was taken into data warehouse. So this is the main reason why somtimes it is important to have CRUD functionality.

OK i'll add request to the JasperServer feature list.

Thanks!

Hi,

I think reporting is more about showing the data instead of allowing to modify the data.

Reporting is about showing not modifying or making last minute fix to documents like that.

You said you don't want to write another application or module that would be modifying the data, but I'm a little skeptical about a pure reporting tool actually altering the data it reports out of.

In any case, JasperReports has a built-in feature called "scriptlets" which allows you to attach a class file to the report in order to perform any kind of business logic while the report is rendered. It might be what you are looking for. Scriptlets are also supported in JasperServer.

I hope this helps.

Teodor

• 2 years later...

I had similar requirement in the past, for example,"the report user wants to add his comments and save back the report to the repository, so the next user can see those comments on the report".

This kind of functionality is present in a software like Business Objects, you can add a column to the report, add your comments and save the report. It would be nice to have the functionality in Jasper. Conventional reports is to just read data from the DB, but real world market demands more, so Jaspersoft has a bit to catch up.