We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

How Do I Implement Interactive Master-Detail Reports?

clapoint_1

I have developed two Jasper reports:  a simple pie chart and a standard tabular-style report presenting the details for a given wedge/section of the pie chart.  I want the pie chart to drive the contents of the detail report, but I don't want to drill down exactly.  Rather, I want the pie chart to remain visible in the same window next to the details so that a user can simply click one of the pie chart wedges/sections and view the associated details - more like a Master-Detail Form, where users can navigate from one Master record to another to view the associated details.  I'm a beginner with Jasper Reports, so the only way I know of to accomplish this mission is to merge the two reports into a single combined report and configure a hyperlink for the pie chart measure to re-execute the combined report, passing in a wedge-/section-specific parameter value that can be fed to the detail subreport.  However, this isn't a very elegant solution.  Is there a better, more efficient approach?  Can/should I use a dashboard?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to create 1 report with 1 dataset.

Add the pie chart to the same report and use the dataset to drive it.

Now add the table element and make sure you use the same dataset to drive that also.

If users filter on the table the pie chart will update and reflect those changes - im sure you can engineer this in reverse also.