I am attempting to build a port for jasperserver for FreeBSD, however I am

having a bit of an issue.

In the source installation document (section 3.2.3 ) it notes that there is a:

<js-src>/apache-ant

directory that is included with the source code. I downloaded the source
code and I am not finding it included.

jasperserver-ce-3.7.0-src.zip
md5sum: f6517b3e99641ce2aa9b059b686d828e

The error I received so far when doing a ant (installed as a FreeBSD port) is below.

The target I am performing is: gen-config

Thanks!

Jason

Code:

Post Edited by jgh at 08/27/2010 23:33

Post Edited by jgh at 08/27/2010 23:39

Post Edited by jgh at 08/27/2010 23:49

Post Edited by jgh at 08/27/2010 23:50

Post Edited by jgh at 09/01/2010 23:58

Post Edited by jgh at 09/01/2010 23:59

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot, I downloaded and looked. And I see the same issue that the apache-ant folder is not there. It should be there so I'll have to fix this.

In the meantime, you *can* use your own copy of apache-ant. Make sure it is version 1.7.1 or better. Then you will also need to copy the ant-contrib-<ver>.jar into your apache-ant/lib folder. The buildomatic scripts rely on the ant-contrib conditional logic capability.

You can grab the ant-contrib.jar from the 3.5.0 src package.

Thanks for taking a look into it

Is there a way to build from source code without specifying your specific application/database servers and settings (ie. username, passwords, paths)?

With ports, I would like to just be able to do a 'make install' and have a message after telling the user to configure their something.xml file....?

With ports, you typically don't configure anything during the build, and having to do so can be extremely particular and specific, which is something that is avoided at all costs with ports.

Thanks!

tkavanagh
Wrote:

Shoot, I downloaded and looked. And I see the same issue that the apache-ant folder is not there. It should be there so I'll have to fix this.

In the meantime, you *can* use your own copy of apache-ant. Make sure it is version 1.7.1 or better. Then you will also need to copy the ant-contrib-<ver>.jar into your apache-ant/lib folder. The buildomatic scripts rely on the ant-contrib conditional logic capability.

I would rather not pull from two different sources right now, however in the meanwhile I did get it to work against 3.5.0. The only thing that I would rather not do, which I am doing is hardcoding build paths, directories, database usernames and passwords. I am hoping that there is a way to not have all of these dependencies before submitting the port to FreeBSD.

At least one of the targets depended on the database actually being up, and having access to it.

I am wondering if there is any way to build without having to supply all of this information, and do post -configuration with editing of files that I could just put in a message after the installation.

The files I have hand edited so far to get it to build are: defaulit_master.properties (for mysql) and js-build.properties (has paths to extracted source)

I was able to get the port to build and work against 3.5.0. All I need to do is work on the startup script, and get it to actually package. It works as it should in a port format using 'make install'.

Please let me know when the source code is updated for 3.7.0! :)

Thanks so much

I've submitted a PR to FreeBSD to include JasperServer in the ports tree. A note to this, though. My original port did all of the database work (ie. building and loading of schema), however this is something that is not encouraged with the port as there are far too many variables to consider in this respect. 

It would be nice if you could build it without defining any of these, however that doesn't appear to be the case. 

When the source code is updated online for 3.7.0, I will update the PR/port, respectively.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=150208

jgh
Wrote:

I've submitted a PR to FreeBSD to include JasperServer in the ports tree. A note to this, though. My original port did all of the database work (ie. building and loading of schema), however this is something that is not encouraged with the port as there are far too many variables to consider in this respect. 

It would be nice if you could build it without defining any of these, however that doesn't appear to be the case. 

When the source code is updated online for 3.7.0, I will update the PR/port, respectively.

To make this more port friendly, it would be great if you could build all of the software, excluding any database schemas, and not have to define any databases. I am envisioning that the schemas could be part of the source code distribution for consideration of end-user to import into a database. With it as part of the distribution, I could merely copy it into the filesystem and present an installer with a message about the schema files for the application server.

The port will only build right now by selecting a database, however I don't actually use any database targets (ie. create-js-db, and init-js-db-ce ) other than add-jdbc-driver. Removing this dependency would make this port far more maintainable, and more importantly port compliant to pass pointyhat (FreeBSD Build Cluster).

Thanks so much, and I  welcome any questions, comments or feedback in my work on this.

Post Edited by jgh at 09/07/2010 19:16

jgh
Wrote:

jgh
Wrote:

To make this more port friendly, it would be great if you could build all of the software, excluding any database schemas, and not have to define any databases. I am envisioning that the schemas could be part of the source code distribution for consideration of end-user to import into a database. With it as part of the distribution, I could merely copy it into the filesystem and present an installer with a message about the schema files for the application server.

The port will only build right now by selecting a database, however I don't actually use any database targets (ie. create-js-db, and init-js-db-ce ) other than add-jdbc-driver. Removing this dependency would make this port far more maintainable, and more importantly port compliant to pass pointyhat (FreeBSD Build Cluster).

Thanks so much, and I  welcome any questions, comments or feedback in my work on this.

Post Edited by jgh at 09/07/2010 19:16

I found that the schemas were in fact distributed with the source code, and I have updated the PR accordingly. At this point, I don't feel anything more else is to be done with this, other than adding other application servers at some point. Right now, the port only supports mysql and postgresql database servers, and tomcat 5.x and 6.x application servers.

• 3 months later...

I'm looking at "JasperServer CE Source Build Guide" and it seems it's haven't been updated.

There still isn't ant-contrib.jar in the svn and from the dev.xml, it looks like it now requires ant 1.8.1 or higher instead of 1.7.0 as is written in the document. There's also no mention of setting maven.home property in the document.

Post Edited by hozawa at 12/19/2010 23:36

Post Edited by hozawa at 12/19/2010 23:37

• 8 months later...

tkavanagh
Wrote:

Hi!

Do you still intend to add apache-ant to jasperserver-ce-3.7.0-src.zip?

Thanks!