We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Installation Requirements

lauramoser

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jasper Business Intelligence is a collection of all the products that you mention.

JasperReports and JasperAnalysis are included inside of the JasperServer Server.

So, when you install JasperServer you get all three ;-)

The install guide (can be downloaded from docs or downloads section) gives the minimal machine requirements. If you will be running with large data sets or lots of users you will want more powerful hardware of course.

You can also just download JasperServer for free Open Source version or Pro Eval version and try it out.

Here is a clip from the install guide (ie example for Windows):

Operating   Resource  Footprint    Minimum       Recommended
System         

Windows

Disk      ~600MB       10 GB free   40 GB +
            RAM                    512 MB       1 GB +
            Processor  1 GHz (single Pentium)   1.5 GHz + (multi-core Pentium)

And JasperETL is a separate product (to handle your data translation, data wherehouse needs). For evaluation, it can be run on the same server.

If you are going to be using ETL processing for daily processing, then JasperETL should have it's own instance.

@tkavanagh, thanks for the System requirements. Do you have metrics on doployement congiguration for the JasperServer based on volume of reports, number of users, volume of data.

Also are there any Admin guide / manual available where one could find information of tuning the jasperServer optimally for best throughput.

Thanks

AviY

When I go to the link above, i get some information about the JasperAnalysis technical guide - so this link does not look too good.

I think you should go to the releases/download area, and 3.7.0 and get the jasperserver-ce-3.7.0-docs.zip. This will have *all* of the available docs for you in one download ;-)

• 8 months later...

Hello.

With regard to the recommended hardware specifications for JasperServer 3.7: 40 GB+ Disk, 1 GB+ RAM, and 1.5 GHz+ multi-core Pentium:

1. Would these requirements be roughly the same for JasperReports Server 4.0?
  2. Would the additional features of the Enterprise Addition require higher-specification equipment?
  3. From what I have read here and elsewhere, it seems the recommended specifications scale primarily with the number of concurrent users.  Are there any sort of guidelines as to how the RAM (and, to a lesser extent, I would imagine, disk space) requirements increase with number of concurrent users?  For the particular project I am working on, we are planning for a maximum of approximately 100 concurrent users during the one peak time of the week.

Thanks much!

@jwatne

1. Yes, similar requirements, though they are pretty much on the lower end. If you don't want headaches, don't run it on the minimum requirements. Java is a lot happier with >2GB allocated to the JVM.

2. Regarding Pro vs Community: You'll want to give the Pro/Ent editions more memory so that you can do the in-memory reporting (AdHoc).

3. It depends on what kind of reports your users are running. Jasperreports can use different types of virtualizers that will offload either to disk, memory or CPU. This gets beyond the depth of a quick forum post, I'd recommend this excellent blogpost here: http://thoughtstoblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/generating-huge-reports-in.html

Regarding concurrent users - I'd recommend setting up some example reports and then using a concurrency load testing application. I don't think there are any official published white papers on scaling up and down. In my opinion you have to know the types of reports that your servers are going to be running. It may turn out that you can do 100 concurrent users with some pretty cheap hardware if you're offloading most of the work to your databases. If you reports are actually calculating things then you need to see what resources those reports hit, again those are configurable as well.

So yeah, lots of fun knobs to adjust :)