We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Category Series Name Is Null

kflows00

I'm trying to add a chart to a report, and I keep getting this error:

Error filling print... Category series name is null.
net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRuntimeException: Category series name is null.      at net.sf.jasperreports.charts.fill.JRFillCategoryDataset.customIncrement(JRFillCategoryDataset.java:144)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillElementDataset.increment(JRFillElementDataset.java:169)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRCalculator.calculateVariables(JRCalculator.java:152)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillDetail(JRVerticalFiller.java:652)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReportStart(JRVerticalFiller.java:232)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReport(JRVerticalFiller.java:113)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.fill(JRBaseFiller.java:767)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.fill(JRBaseFiller.java:690)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.fillReport(JRFiller.java:89)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:601)      at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReport(JasperFillManager.java:517)      at it.businesslogic.ireport.IReportCompiler.run(IReportCompiler.java:893)      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

What does "Category series name is null" mean? What is the category series? I've been trying to make this one work for a little while and I just can't seem to figure it out. I get the same error whether I run with an empty datasource or with real data. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general you have three "objects" to configure in your chart and to map to the result fields of your Query :

- one Category parameter

- one Serie parameter

- one Value parameter

In your case one or more of these seem to be null. Check your query outside iReport to verify that you don't get null values

I have verified that the SQL query used to fill the report does not contain any null data, but still having this error. I had assumed that the error does not have anything to do with the data itself, though, because I get the same error when running the report with an empty datasource. Is that a bad assumption to make?

I think that your assumption is right . In this case, it would mean that the input data for your chart are not those returned by the query. Perhaps a problem in the mapping of these data?

It's difficult to say : if you post your jrxml file on the forum, perhaps other people or me could see what is wrong.

As far as I can tell the data is being passed correctly...its being passed the same way as it is on other reports, and when I run the stored procedure directly in SQL Management Studio the data looks just fine.

As I used a lot of charts without problems about data, except from my own, I am convinced that, if the chart says "null serie value", it is why it receives a null value.

To be sure that it cannot receive null values from the query, I would do the following :

replace each field in the query ("SELECT Field1 from ......) by an expression : SELECT case when Field1 is not null then Field1 else 0 end from ......

( or SELECT case when Field1 is not null then Field1 else 'AAA' end from ...... if Field1 is a string)

If you still get the same error it's an error in the mapping of input data or a bug in the chart

• 1 year later...

I am having an issue with Time Series Chart. I am getting the following error:

net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRuntimeException: Time series name is null.

My chart is a subreport that sits in Summary band.

I don't understand what it means that the name is null. What sii the "name"?