Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file (6.3.1)

steven_klein
Go to solution Solved by steven_klein,

Hello,

i am using jasperreports-6.3.1.jar together with jasperreports-fonts-6.3.1
Using in my Report the Font "DejaVu Serif".

On Windows 10 with JDK 1.8.0_111 everything runs fine.

But on my Linux Server (Synology NAS RS815+ DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 6) with no head (is headless so no X11 connections and no fonts installed or something like that. I do not know it better.)
i got following error since there was some OS update and updates to JAVA JRE (1.8.0_101):

>../volume1/Jasper$ java -jar -Djava.awt.headless=true job.jar

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
Exception in thread "main" net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRuntimeException: Error initializing graphic environment.
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.util.JRGraphEnvInitializer.initializeGraphEnv(JRGraphEnvInitializer.java:63)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.BaseReportFiller.<init>(BaseReportFiller.java:122)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.<init>(JRBaseFiller.java:246)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.<init>(JRVerticalFiller.java:69)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.<init>(JRVerticalFiller.java:57)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.createBandReportFiller(JRFiller.java:200)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.createReportFiller(JRFiller.java:215)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFiller.fill(JRFiller.java:159)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillToFile(JasperFillManager.java:159)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperFillManager.fillReportToFile(JasperFillManager.java:692)
        at me.diskstation.team42.jobs.amazon.MainAnalyser.createReport(MainAnalyser.java:129)
        at me.diskstation.team42.jobs.amazon.MainAnalyser.main(MainAnalyser.java:100)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at sun.awt.FontConfiguration.getVersion(FontConfiguration.java:1264)
        at sun.awt.FontConfiguration.readFontConfigFile(FontConfiguration.java:219)
        at sun.awt.FontConfiguration.init(FontConfiguration.java:107)
        at sun.awt.X11FontManager.createFontConfiguration(X11FontManager.java:774)
        at sun.font.SunFontManager$2.run(SunFontManager.java:431)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at sun.font.SunFontManager.<init>(SunFontManager.java:376)
        at sun.awt.FcFontManager.<init>(FcFontManager.java:35)
        at sun.awt.X11FontManager.<init>(X11FontManager.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:442)
        at sun.font.FontManagerFactory$1.run(FontManagerFactory.java:83)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at sun.font.FontManagerFactory.getInstance(FontManagerFactory.java:74)
        at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.getFontManagerForSGE(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:201)
        at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.getAvailableFontFamilyNames(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:235)
        at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.getAvailableFontFamilyNames(SunGraphicsEnvironment.java:263)
        at sun.java2d.HeadlessGraphicsEnvironment.getAvailableFontFamilyNames(HeadlessGraphicsEnvironment.java:94)
        at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.util.JRGraphEnvInitializer.initializeGraphEnv(JRGraphEnvInitializer.java:57)
        ... 11 more

Please help!

THANKS!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The font jar file is in the classpath as Library.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<classpath>
<classpathentry kind="src" path=""/>
<classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER"/>
<classpathentry kind="lib" path=".../Amazon XML Jobs/libs/jasperreports-fonts-6.3.1.jar"/>
<classpathentry kind="output" path="bin"/>
</classpath>

When i export my project to runnable Jar-File it contains the fonts. I can execute it in console under windows or in Tomcat via Webservice both runs fine.
But when i try it on Linux with no fonts installed it will not work.

Why he looks for a default config file in a folder like "usr/share/fonts/...." or "usr/share/fonts/truetype" ?
It is not there so dont look into it. How can i tell him not to search the OS for fonts?

THANKS!

Hello hozawa,
thank you for your hint. I tried it with my own extension and had a little progress in troubleshooting! But i am still struggling.

Now i did following:

1. I followed the instructions of http://community.jaspersoft.com/wiki/custom-font-font-extension and used that font.

2. Replaced all occourences of fontName="*" in my "report.jrxml" with fontName="MyFontExtension" and compiled a new report.jasper file

3. Added the new jasper-file to my eclipse Project and hit run.

And got an error wich i was expecting. So far so good. He looks for my font extension!

Exception in thread "main" net.sf.jasperreports.engine.util.JRFontNotFoundException: Font "MyFontExtension" is not available to the JVM. See the Javadoc for more details.
at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fonts.FontUtil.checkAwtFont(FontUtil.java:652)

4. Added the MyFonExtension.jar exported with Jaspersoft Studio to my eclipse project as external library and hit run again.
And it works on windows the pdf-file has the correct font!

5. Exported the project to runnable Jar and got 2 warnings. And i think this is the problem... but still not got the trick.
export_warnings.JPG.7ce521bd0e6b55e4a83a37b722550bd4.JPG

On Unix he now trys to find a font twice and fails. No exception but the pdf remains empty.

unix_console(1).JPG.dfeeff36333e2c04fc3e21389c33a8d8.JPG

The locations of the jasperreports_extension.properties are:

MyFontExtension.jar
jasperreports-6.3.1.jar

Any idea?

THANKS!

jasperreports_extension.properties should have been generated. If you edit this file manually, you have to set net.sf.jasperreports.extension.simple.font.families to a unique key or you'll get duplicate error.

e.g.

net.sf.jasperreports.extension.simple.font.families.ireportfamily1482121183005=fonts/fontsfamily1482121183005.xml

Yes they are generated. I did not modify them. Could it be that the project export function is messing something up?

in "MyFonExtension" it says:

net.sf.jasperreports.extension.registry.factory.fonts=net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fonts.SimpleFontExtensionsRegistryFactory
net.sf.jasperreports.extension.simple.font.families.ireportfamily1481974224157=fonts/fontsfamily1481974224157.xml

And in the API-JAR jasperreports-6.3.1.jar i am using it says:

net.sf.jasperreports.extension.registry.factory.simple.font.families=net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fonts.SimpleFontExtensionsRegistryFactory
net.sf.jasperreports.extension.simple.font.families.default=net/sf/jasperreports/fonts/jasperreports-fonts.xml

JasperReports 6.2.0 had a bug with font extensions but 6.3.1 should be alright. I'm using it on Ubuntu with Java8 and able to use font extensions.

Another thing I did with 6.2.0 (the one with a bug) was to manually add the fonts to jasperreports-font.jar instead of using font-extensions.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed Ubuntu on VirtualBox and installed tomcat7 with "sudo apt-get tomcat7".
I deployed my application and everything works fine.

I think it is something wrong with the other linux installation or because it is headless.

And is there a fonconfig.Linux.bfc or something like that missing?

java8_fontconfig.PNG.6462f00eb171321980b46fc1ca8f6944.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

[sOLVED]

It is running on all Java Versions again!

Java 7u79
Java 7u80
Java 8u111
Java 8u112

It seems to be a Synology specific issue of its tool "Java Manager" i deinstalled Java and reinstalled with no effect. But as i used the update function and downgraded to jdk-7u79-linux-i586.tar.gz it works again with all versions! No matter if jdk-7u79-linux-i586.tar.gz or jdk-7u79-linux-x64.tar.gz is installed.

Thanks!