For the purposes of this discussion, installation implies no previous version is installed or where the user is installing beside an existing previous version - not over-writing nor disabling the older version.
An upgrade implies that the user is installing a new version over an existing version. Sometimes this upgrade process is called an Overlay Upgrade in order to emphasize the fact of the over-writing of the previous version, but there is really no semantic difference. Upgrades can be riskier, especially when all of the various other dependencies are considered, but they hold the promise of being much faster when there aren't any encountered problems.
So, it is recomended that the first article to read is Factors to consider when upgrading in order to assess these risks and oportunities.
- JasperReports Server Install Guide - Commercial Edition v5.5 (other versions may beavailable in Docs)
V5 Installation Notes
- JasperReports Server Installation - MUST Extract All Files From a WAR Distribution Zip File Into a Destination Close to The Root
- JasperReports Server v5.1.0 Overlay Upgrade - From a Bundled v4.1.0 Win 64 Installation
- Other JasperReports Server installation and/or upgrade issues.
Other Upgrade References
- Why is report not working while it was in previous version of JasperReports (iReport Designer)?
- Error when running reports after migrating from v220.127.116.11 to v4.5.1
- ODBO fails to connect to a server that has been upgraded to 4.5
- Clarification on migrating JasperETL 4.1.2 projects to version 5.0.2 projects
- Formatting issues with scheduled HTML report output after upgrade
- Domain AdHoc report "unknown column name" error after upgrading from JasperReports Server Pro 3.x to JasperReports Server 4.5.1
- Upgrade paths for JasperReports Server
- Bad envelope tag error when updating document in repository via iReport Designer
- Deploying JasperReports Server v4.7 into Weblogic 10.3.4
- JasperETL license: no more user available with this license
- Jaspersoft security changes and configuration
Other Installation References
- Illegalstateexception while deploying war file to weblogic
- Installation steps with the installer distribution
- Installing Jaspersoft MongoDB connector in iReport Designer or Jaspersoft Studio
- 64 bit JasperReports Server installer does not launch
- Installing on centos
- Installing the pptx exporter for JasperReports Server v4.2.1
- Linux war file depoyment shell issue
- Downloading installers
- Installing from installer
- Installation steps with war file binary distribution
- Oracle berkeley db
- Oracle berkeley db java edition