We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

rhinosystems

Hello,

I'm  a newbie, and would like to create a simple report and show in the list of reports.

I'd like the report to get it's data from custom data source (my own beans basically).

Things I've tried so far, but with some frustration.

1) I found the JasperReports Ultimate Guide Third edition - not very helpful for getting "samples" running - no complete sample code - this is more like a reference as far as I can see. I'd buy the JasperReports Server Ultimate Guide, but I have a few reservations: A) if it is like the 3rd edition I'm looking at, it is probably not worth it - it doesn't have complete sample code; B) It looks like you need to buy this guide on JASPERSOFT, which would lead me to believe that it is for the PRO version, and I'd like to sample around with the community edition first... is the guide  geared towards the PRO? If I don't like the guide can I get my money back?

2) I tried building java-webapp-sample\java-webapp-sample-jar - but it won't build because of missing jars - I've added all the jars in <tomcat>/lib/jasper* and under <tomcat>/webapps/jasperserver/WEB-INF/lib/* and no luck - it is missing:

com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.irplugin.wsclient.FileContent
com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.ws.client.authority.UserAndRoleManagement;
com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.ws.client.controller.WSClientManager;
com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.ws.client.authority.PermissionsManagement;

3) I tried to run the build from <jasperserver_install>/buildomatic but that failed with "maven" error - I don't have maven installed - I'd prefer just ant type build process if possible, and will just installing maven fix this problem? if you are distributing ant, why not maven too?

4) I've tried to find in <tomcat>/webapps/jasperserver some way of seeing the sample web-apps that are installed as a part of the installation - but nothing jumped out - i saw that "spring" is being used, but I'm no expert in spring to figure this out quickly.

So far I've tried a lot of things, and run into barriers that I'm not sure I should pursue past them for fear of further rabbit-holes.

Please help me with some direction. Simply put, I just want to get a "sample" custom datasource report installed, and need instructions. Hello World type stuff... :)

Thanks,

Joel

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty new to this too but I had pretty good luck with the JasperReports 3.5 for Java developers book.  I'm using iReports 4 and had to figure out some of the differences but I got the jars to compile and had running code within a day. 

I hope you have better luck finding answers to your questions than I have.  I've been through these forums myself looking for answers and been very disappointed by the lack of good examples.  The tutorial section has some good stuff but again it's fairly limited.  You can also find some good video on Youtube. 

I'm trying to simply use a different data source for my report and my subreport.  As far as I can tell it can be done using a hack but simply chosing it when creating a report would have been to simple I guess.  I'm not giving up but I'm certainly frustrated and would be happy to hear of another reference. 

Good luck.  I think this is a good product and I'm looking forward to understanding it well enough to actually use it.

A note on the java-webapp-sample\java-webapp-sample-jar. I think that these examples got out of date for older JasperReport Server versions.

We are about to come out with the Community edition version 4.1.0. The webapp-sample is definitely tested by QA for 4.1.0. Should be out in about a week or so. You might want to give this try once it's available.

Sorry that you are running into trouble on your tasks.

• 1 month later...

I downloaded the latest version 4.1 but still facing jars not found issue. I am getting error for following 2 artifacts:

1) com.jaspersoft.jasperserver:jasperserver-ws-sample-jar:jar:4.1.0
2) com.jaspersoft.jasperserver:jasperserver-ireport-plugin:jar:4.1.0

Could you please give the maven repository location from where these files can be accessed?

Thanks,

Jinal Shah