Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Upgrade to JasperServer 3.5

skolluri

Hi,

How easy or difficult is it to upgrade to JasperServer 3.5 Community version from 3.0 Com version?

We are running JasperServer 3.0, but would like to upgrade to 3.5 to take advantage of some of the advanced features - for eg. in security. Can you please let me know if that is even possible? we have reports currently defined in JS 3.0 on our linux server.

Does 3.5 come without the NetBeans?

Thanks,

Sri

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sri,

It took me about 25 manhours to upgrade from V3.0 to V3.5.  We have a fairly vanilla JasperServer installation with around six customizations that needed to be addressed. 

The biggest chunk of time was due to starting out by doing the in-place upgrade, Chapter 7 of the Install Guide.  Then discovering this left the directory paths with the old "3.0" in the directory name.  I then did a complete uninstall of JasperServer (keeping the export of our repository) and re-installed from scratch, Chapter 2.  Then imported the saved repository.  All was fine after this installation was completed.

By the time of the next future upgrade, our instance should be in production.  I hope to do a parallel installation of the next version on the same server as our V3.5 installation.  I'm hoping I can simply use a separate port number for the future installation and run both V3.5 and the future version concurrently during the upgrade project.  Does anyone have any experience with this approach?

Paul

hey Paul, Thanks for your reply!

I thought it was going pretty good,till I came to section 7.6 - Upgrade to 3.5 section of the Install guide! First it said, it couldnt find the appServerType. I am using Resin server, not Tomcat or Jboss or glassfish. So, i checked the setup.xml, and found that if it is not one of the above, then it doesnt set the variable appServerType.

So, I added another if element in setup.xml testing for the appserver - "resin". I dont know if it is right, or if the values i gave for the diffferent properties are right, but I was able to execute the drop, create, init , import database scripts successfully.

Now, I am trying to execute the js-ant import-upgrade-ce script, and am getting this error -

13:53:36,937 ERROR ImporterImpl:109 - java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
     [java] 13:53:36,957 ERROR BaseExportImportCommand:45 - com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.JSExceptionWrapper: error in opening zip file
     [java] com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.JSExceptionWrapper: java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
     [java]     at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
     [java]     at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:114)
     [java]     at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.export.io.ZipFileInput.open(ZipFileInput.java:51)
     [java]     at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.export.ImporterImpl.performImport(ImporterImpl.java:92)
     [java]     at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.export.ImportCommandImpl.process(ImportCommandImpl.java:57)
     [java]     at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.export.BaseExportImportCommand.process(BaseExportImportCommand.java:87)
     [java]     at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.export.ImportCommand.main(ImportCommand.java:43)
     [java] Java Result: 255

It is not able to open the database import zip file.

Anyone has any idea why?

Is anyone from the JasperServer support team around? Can you please help me figure this out?

Thanks,
Sridevi

Two questions -

Did u manually zipped the "jasperserver 3.0 export file". If so, it is not going to work.

In case , you have exported the  JS 3.0 data as normal directory (and not zip file ) , please try to use the alternative  command to import the  JS 3.0 data

./js-ant import -DimportFile="path to 3.0 data folder e.g. /home/qauser/js-3.0-export" -DimportArgs="--update"

Hope this helps,

- 1 tested jasperserver 3.0 -> 3.5 upgrade as part of qa testing at jaspersoft.and it worked smoothly for me as we follow the Install guide instructions.

ramnik

hey ramnik, thanks for your reply.

No, I didnt manually zip the data. I followed the instruction from the Install guide for 3.5, under Section 7.3 Export Your 3.1 Repo data.

I ran the command - js-export.sh --everything --output-zip js-3.0-export.zip, and it created the zip file for me.

I already ran the ant command to drop database and recreate it. Wouldnt it be a little late to execute the js-ant import command again with the -D option?

Thanks,

Sridevi

hey Ramnik,

I seemed to have fixed it. I am not sure, but the ant command now runs fine without the error it was throwing before!

When I exported the repo data from the JS 3.0 version earlier, I named the file - js-3.0-export.zip.

But I suddenly got the idea that maybe the code is looking for a js-3.1-export.zip file, so I renamed the zip file to the 3,1 version.

and it worked! Dont know how! i would think that it would look for a zip file and not particularly the name. But the command executed  with a BUILD SUCCESSFUL result in the end!

Thanks,

Sridevi

I guess I was elated too fast!

The zip problem seems to have been fixed, but my original appServerType problem is back again.

When I run the final ant command - js-ant deploy-webapp-ce, i get a BUILD FAILED with this message -

BUILD FAILED
/opt/downloads/jasperserver-3.5.0-bin/buildomatic/setup.xml:461: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/opt/downloads/jasperserver-3.5.0-bin/buildomatic/setup.xml:449: Unknown value of appServerType resin

Any idea how to set Resin in the setup.xml file?  This is what I added for Resin - (in the CODE section below).

I am not sure if resin.jar is the file to test for.

Does anyone know what i need to do for Resin server? The setup.xml is only set up for Tomcat, JBoss and Glassfish currently.

If anyone knows the answer, please let me know!

Thanks,
Sridevi

Code:
<if>        <available file="${appServerDir}/lib/resin.jar"/>        <then>                <var name="appServerType" unset="true"/>                <var name="appServerJdbcDir" unset="true"/>                <var name="appServerWorkDir" unset="true"/>                <property name="appServerType" value="resin"/>                <property name="appServerJdbcDir" value="${appServerDir}/lib"/>                <property name="appServerWorkDir" value="${appServerDir}/webapps"/>        </then>    </if>

Hi,

Does anyone have an answer to my question of how to setup Resin server for upgrade to JasperServer 3.5?

I really need to get this working, and I havent found a solution to it yet.

Any of the JasperServer support team member? Smwoods, Lucian, AnandRaj? Can you please help?

Thanks,

Sridevi

I haven't played with resin so I'm not sure of the exact target "webapps" directory structure.

The buildomatic script is setup to handle tomcat 5.5, tomcat 6.0, JBoss, and glassfish. So, I am not surprised that it didn't deploy to resin nicely.

But one thing to do would be to manually put the jasperserver war directory into the appropriate app server folder.

The "deploy" step of the buildomatic scripts deletes any previous copy of jasperserver, then copied a new jasperserver, then puts a datasource in place, and makes sure that the WEB-INF/hibernate.properties has the right settings for the database being used.

hi tkavanagh,

Thanks sooo much for your reply!!

The webapps directory in Resin is <Resin install>/webapps.

I kinda did something similar to what you said on my own without using the deploy script - 

Looking at the ant target for deploy-webapp-ce, I found that the warSourceDir was coming out to be jasperserver3.1.6/buildomatic/install_resources/war/jasperserver.

I did not have the same directory structure in my installation. There was no "war" folder inside install_resources. So I used the war file from the 3.5 installation (<unzipped directory - jasperserver3.1.6-bin>/jasperserver.war ).

I deleted the existing war (for 3.0) from the webapps folder, and copied the war file from the 3.5 installation.

Since the dataasource stuff is already in place in the resin.conf from the previous 3.0 installation, I didnt have to change anything.

I restarted the server after copying the war file, and checked in the mysql database - JIUser table. The passwords were encrypted. They were not earlier in 3.0.

Is this sufficient?

Thanks,

Sridevi