We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Conditional formatting - basic help needed

motoman

...I am sure this question has been posed before, but I didn't really find the kind of help I'm looking for with a search.

Just started using iReport 3.1.2.  On a basic report, I want to conditionally format a value/row based on an evaluation of the value.  For example, if it's >= 5 then I want to have a yellow background and black font...if it's >=10 I want a red background and white font...that kind of thing.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First drag and drop the field that you want to have dyanamic color twice. Change background color for first field to Yellow and the second field to Red.

Now right click Yellow field, click Properties, select Common tab and write this code in the 'Print when expression' box: (make sure to replace myconditionalfield with your actual field name)

$F{MyConditinalField}.intValue()>= 5 && $F{MyConditinalField}.intValue()<10?Boolean.TRUE:Boolean.FALSE

//if >=5 and <10 then show Yellow field

//Code for Red field at the same place just like above

$F{MyConditinalField}.intValue()>= 10?Boolean.TRUE:Boolean.FALSE

Hope this helps.

...I'm sure that probably would work, but I stumbled across the "conditional" bit in a Style I created, which is I reckon what others are directing me to.

However, when I try to define the simplest expression for the condition, I get an error. Like "$F{value} >= 5" - which is as simple an expression as one can get. It tells me that "the operator >= is undefined for the argument type(s) Double, int" - ...I am wondering how a basic operator like that can be undefined for numeric data types...? What am I doing wrong?

Just play around with field datatypes. Try to change the datatype of your conditional field to BigDecimal and then use following expressions.

//yellow

$F{MyConditinalField}.doubleValue()>= 5 && $F{MyConditinalField}.intValue()<10?Boolean.TRUE:Boolean.FALSE

//red

$F{MyConditinalField}.doubleValue()>= 10?Boolean.TRUE:Boolean.FALSE

Also, if your value is <5, what would you like to display?

...changing the data type on my field seems to make the report not run.

From what I can tell, or at least what I'm guessing, I'm just trying to define the condition under which this style is used. I made a style, and then added a Conditional to it, and the condition should be that the style is used when my value is >= 5.