We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Create olap cube

tron79

Hi,

Could somebody pelp me? I want to create olap cube. Which software I need to use. I had installed JasperServer 3.0 which include jasper analysis. I made same sample with mondrian connection and made schema, but I can not create cube.

Regards

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like you have done everything you need to use JasperAnalysis. When you say "create a cube", do you mean "create the cube database"?

JasperAnalysis does not need to have an explicit cube creation step like Hyperion/Essbase or Cognos.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

Where is the data you want to do analysis on? Have you tried creating a schema that uses your existing data?

If you need to move your data from your existing data source and transform it into fact and dimension tables, you can use JasperETL which is based on Talend Open Studio. This tool creates transformation scripts visually, and you can test the scripts and deploy them to run at any time.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

You have done all you need to do.

Once you have created the schema and a Mondrian connection (schema + database connection), create an analysis view using the Mondrian connection (MDX query).

JasperAnalysis uses the Mondrian OLAP engine. It caches query results in Java memory for speed. The only thing you need to do is to flush the cache when you want to see the impact of new data coming into the underlying database. There is a menu option for this.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

• 8 months later...

I am new in using Jasperserver. I have some question while creating schema. I see the example SugarCRMSchema.xml file where It includes SugarCRMSchema.data file. Are these two files manually created?

In the dat file I see some tags, Does this file cover all tags? In other words is there any documentation how to create xml and data file.

For MDX query, same question , Do I have to write it manually or some software can generate it?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

@asifisyed

The SugarCRM.dat is a dump of an example database. You would need to provide your own datam, of course. The schema XML file can be created by hand, but it is best to use the Schema Workbench, which allows you to visually create the schema, validate the schema against the underlying database and run test MDX queries. There is a simple MDX query generator provided to get you started with queries that can be used in analysis views in the server.

@kapil112307

Do you mean a Pivot Table in Excel? To get the OLAP result displayed in JasperAnalysis, you will need to load the data in Excel into a database, and then create a schema, OLAP connections and analysis views in the server.

@kevinchristian

The schema provides metadata that the OLAP engine uses to generate SQL statements that satisfy MDX query requests.

Sherman

Jaspersoft

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am new in this field and i want to create my first mdx query in jasperserver but i dont have any idea

about cube,schema.Please anyboby suggest me how to make cube,schema all these thing.

and i m using jasperserver 4.0.0.Should i install any software for olap cube.

Post Edited by shatad0101 at 07/01/2011 11:44

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi shatad0101

You need to download JasperAnalysis Workbench from the forge and define cube with at least a fact table with a measure and a dimension.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jasperserver/files/JasperServer/JasperServer%201.2.1/JasperAnalysis_workbench-1.0.zip/download

Most information on Mondrian XML is provided on Pentaho website. MDX language is described in number of locations.

Olga, JasperSoft

• 1 month later...
Hi Kevin,
Schema modeling is used to map multi-dimensional databases with the underlying SQL database. Your database doesn't know how to group dimensions into hierarchies, which statistics to apply to measures etc. And schema defines all the joins for you, so you can operate with lists of dimensions and measures when you define reports with MDX or Graphical tools.
Schema will also allow to support aggregate tables though that can be done by the viewer directly as well. Also schema allows to define Access Grant and apply dimension and hierarchy concept.

Basically schema enables MDX to work with members, children, ancestor syntax. Check

Hope that  helps,
Olga

• 1 year later...