We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Expression Editor: Last day of last month

First day of this month:

new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd").format(java.util.Date.parse(MONTH(NOW( )) + "/1/" + YEAR(NOW())))[/code]

Last day of this month:

new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd").format(java.util.Date.parse(MONTH(NOW( )) + "/" + DAYSINMONTH(NOW())+"/" + YEAR(NOW())))[/code]

First day of last month:

new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd").format(java.util.Date.parse((MONTH(NOW( )) -1 ) + "/1/" + YEAR(NOW()))    )[/code]

NOT WORKING:

Last Day of Last month: set the days to DaysInMonth (LAST MONTH FIRST OF MONTH) 

new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd").format(java.util.Date.parse((MONTH(NOW( )) -1 ) + "/" + DAYSINMONTH(MONTH(NOW( )) -1 ) + "/1/" + YEAR(NOW()))    + "/" + YEAR(NOW()))[/code]

I've tried this a dozen different ways, but just can't get the Last Day of Last Month to work.

(Common question as many business users run a report for the last month.)

Can anyone more experienced than I with this shed some light?

(I could do this easy with SQL, Maybe I could set the default expression from a seperate SQL query field?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'd advice using the also in JasperReports used Apache DateUtils....  the commons-lang3.jar should be available in your classpath of course .... so take a look at this:

DateUtils.addSeconds(DateUtils.ceiling(DateUtils.addMonths(new Date(), -1), Calendar.MONTH), -1)[/code]

It will calculate the last Day of the previous month from Today (better: the latest second in the previous month :-) ).

So an sysout will show you, if you start it today (13.05.2019):

Tue Apr 30 23:59:59 CEST 2019

hth + regards

C-Box

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm using out of box Jaspersoft Studio.

I don't think I have access to that JAR.

I tried using that for my Paramater default value expression (Class: Java.util.Date) :

Error evaluating expression for source text: DateUtils.addSeconds(DateUtils.ceiling(DateUtils.addMonths(new Date(), -1), Calendar.MONTH), -1)

com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.JSExceptionWrapper: net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRExpressionEvalException: Error evaluating expression for source text: DateUtils.addSeconds(DateUtils.ceiling(DateUtils.addMonths(new Date(), -1), Calendar.MONTH), -1) 

Hi again,

just tried with JasperSoftStudio 6.6.0 ... also out of the box and it works well. The required library is also included within that JRStudio version:

e.g. "C:JasperJaspersoft Studio-6.6.0pluginsorg.apache.commons.lang3_3.1.0.v201403281430.jar"

Here is my design - just take a look at the imports at the beginning. Probably you should define the "JasperReports Dependencies" to your design-workspace classpath as well.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!-- Created with Jaspersoft Studio version 6.6.0.final using JasperReports Library version 6.5.1  --><jasperReport xmlns="http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/jasperreports" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/jasperreports http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/xsd/jasperreport.xsd" name="TestLastDayOfPrevMonth" pageWidth="595" pageHeight="842" columnWidth="555" leftMargin="20" rightMargin="20" topMargin="20" bottomMargin="20" uuid="5cf53290-7072-4385-835a-aba7cba4db1c">    <property name="com.jaspersoft.studio.data.defaultdataadapter" value="One Empty Record"/>    <import value="org.apache.commons.lang3.time.*"/>    <parameter name="ParamLastDayCalced" class="java.util.Date" isForPrompting="false">        <defaultValueExpression><![CDATA[DateUtils.addSeconds(DateUtils.ceiling(DateUtils.addMonths(new Date(), -1), Calendar.MONTH), -1)]]></defaultValueExpression>    </parameter>    <queryString>        <![CDATA[]]>    </queryString>    <background>        <band splitType="Stretch"/>    </background>    <title>        <band height="79" splitType="Stretch">            <textField>                <reportElement x="230" y="41" width="281" height="30" uuid="2b9e697e-3d75-4fc7-a96d-41e7901c474c"/>                <textFieldExpression><![CDATA[$P{ParamLastDayCalced}]]></textFieldExpression>            </textField>            <staticText>                <reportElement x="10" y="41" width="217" height="30" uuid="24c36840-3b6c-4eac-a79b-71a4db495427"/>                <text><![CDATA[Last Day of Last month:]]></text>            </staticText>            <staticText>                <reportElement x="10" y="10" width="217" height="30" uuid="68d423b1-c47c-4c53-a736-130cd8641d5c"/>                <text><![CDATA[Today:]]></text>            </staticText>            <textField>                <reportElement x="230" y="11" width="281" height="30" uuid="090cdc6e-d2e5-4848-826d-d91ac909763d"/>                <textFieldExpression><![CDATA[new Date()]]></textFieldExpression>            </textField>        </band>    </title>    <pageHeader>        <band height="35" splitType="Stretch"/>    </pageHeader>    <columnHeader>        <band height="61" splitType="Stretch"/>    </columnHeader>    <detail>        <band height="125" splitType="Stretch"/>    </detail>    <columnFooter>        <band height="45" splitType="Stretch"/>    </columnFooter>    <pageFooter>        <band height="54" splitType="Stretch"/>    </pageFooter>    <summary>        <band height="42" splitType="Stretch"/>    </summary></jasperReport>[/code]

so works as expected.

hth + regards

C-Box

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

this seems to work

NOTE both of the following require the local date class to be added to the report

either add this to the <jasperReport> section at the top of source file of the report next to the <property> values :

<import value="java.time.LocalDate"/>[/code]

or use jasper studio and click report->properties->import->add class then type localDate, see image attached

First day of last month default date

java.sql.Date.valueOf(LocalDate.now().withDayOfMonth(1).minusMonths(1))[/code]

Last day of last month

java.sql.Date.valueOf(LocalDate.now().withDayOfMonth(1).minusDays(1))[/code]

• 1 year later...

I use the following

First Day of Last Month

new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy/MM/dd"+" "+"00:00:00").format(java.util.Date.parse("01/" + (MONTH(NOW( )) - 1) + "/" + YEAR(NOW())))

Last day of last month

new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy/MM/dd"+" "+"23:59:59").format(java.util.Date.parse((MONTH(NOW( )) - 1) + "/" + DAYSINMONTH(new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy/MM/dd"+" "+"00:00:00").format(java.util.Date.parse("01/" + (MONTH(NOW( )) - 1) + "/" + YEAR(NOW()))))+ "/" + YEAR(NOW())))

Have you tried this also when you simulate being in January? So I doubt, that just subtracting 1 from current month will automatically switch to december and then also decrements the year to the past one!?!?  Just give it a try and post your result.... would be interessting. 

regards from rainy Dresden/Germany

C-Box