Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Error evaluating expression for source text: !$F{group3}.isEmpty()

rpozsgai
Go to solution Solved by rpozsgai,

I'm converting a Jasper Report that was originally designed with a data query as the data source.  Now, I'm passing in the field values directly with Java.  The error I'm getting is from the Print When Expression on one of my Detail Bands.  This formula worked fine when the data came from the query, but not now.  What is the proper way to test for a blank field value???

I tried

!$F{group3}.equals(null)

!($F{group3}.equals(""))

LEN($F{group3})>0

Arrays.asList($F{group3}.split(" ")).size()>0

None of these work - I get the same error each time.

Caused by: net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRExpressionEvalException: Error evaluating expression for source text: !$F{group3}.isEmpty()
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JREvaluator.evaluate(JREvaluator.java:291)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRCalculator.evaluate(JRCalculator.java:618)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRCalculator.evaluate(JRCalculator.java:586)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillDataset.evaluateExpression(JRFillDataset.java:1832)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.BaseReportFiller.evaluateExpression(BaseReportFiller.java:666)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillBand.evaluatePrintWhenExpression(JRFillBand.java:350)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillDetail(JRVerticalFiller.java:748)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReportStart(JRVerticalFiller.java:259)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRVerticalFiller.fillReport(JRVerticalFiller.java:119)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRBaseFiller.fill(JRBaseFiller.java:558)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.BaseReportFiller.fill(BaseReportFiller.java:414)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRFillSubreport.fillSubreport(JRFillSubreport.java:746)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRSubreportRunnable.run(JRSubreportRunnable.java:58)
    at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.AbstractThreadSubreportRunner.run(AbstractThreadSubreportRunner.java:216)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1153)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:785)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: NotesContext not initialized for the thread
    at com.ibm.domino.xsp.module.nsf.NotesContext.getCurrent(NotesContext.java:123)
    at com.ibm.domino.xsp.module.nsf.ModuleClassLoader$DynamicClassLoader.loadClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:416)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:809)

The "NotesContext not initialized for the thread" error has been a thorn in my side many times... it seems the report will run right past it, and I've never been able to determine what causes it.

[1B14:0010-1274] 10/18/2018 08:37:38 AM  HTTP JVM: Error in CreatePDF: net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRExpressionEvalException: Error evaluating expression for source text: !$F{group3}.isEmpty(), cause: net.sf.jasperreports.engine.fill.JRExpressionEval evaluating expression for source t
[1B14:0010-1274] 10/18/2018 08:37:38 AM  HTTP JVM: xt: !$F{group3}.isEmpty()
[1B14:0010-1274] 10/18/2018 08:37:38 AM  HTTP JVM:    Root cause: service com.ibm.domino.xsp.bridge.http.engine.XspCmdManager
[1B14:0010-1274] 10/18/2018 08:37:38 AM  HTTP JVM:    Penultimate cause: method=service class=com.ibm.designer.runtime.domino.adapter.LCDEnvironment line=313

<band height="15" splitType="Prevent">
            <printWhenExpression><![CDATA[!$F{qnotes3}.isEmpty()]]></printWhenExpression>
            <textField isStretchWithOverflow="true" isBlankWhenNull="true">
                <reportElement positionType="Float" stretchType="RelativeToBandHeight" x="42" y="0" width="356" height="15" isRemoveLineWhenBlank="true" isPrintInFirstWholeBand="true" isPrintWhenDetailOverflows="true" uuid="214f58ed-995e-4a86-826c-21700f1bc5ca"/>
                <textElement>
                    <font size="8"/>
                </textElement>
                <textFieldExpression><![CDATA[$F{qnotes3}]]></textFieldExpression>
            </textField>
        </band>

Can someone point me in the right direction to get this resolved?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

This was strangest error - because, as I mentioned.  The original formula of isEmpty() worked when the data came from a query.  But, the formula did not work when I switched to using Java passing beans instead.  After a week of trial and error, I was finally able to get my report to work and it solved this error, too.  The solution for me, was a small tech note I found about using Jasper Reports with nested sub-reports.  I had to use the jasperreports-javaflow and commons-javaflow jars.  Additionally, the jasperreports jar must removed in this case.  I applied these jars, restarted the server and voila - it all works.  I can't explain it any more than that, but that's what I did.