Industrial Standard for Report Rendering Architecture

doom160

Hi all,

Given that I am using Actuate 8 and in the planning to migrate to jasper reports.There is two architectural design in mind when rendering the report.

1) Application send parameters to JasperServer, then JasperServer queries DB for data then render as Report
2) Application queries DB for whole set of data then send these data as objects or json or file (e.g. XML) to render as Report.

My point of view is:
(1) would be the easiest to implement but strongly coupled to Jasper solutions. Sharing of load with apps and report server
(2) makes the system less coupled to Jasper solutions, allowing for other report rendering software if needed in long future. but huge load on apps

Assuming the reports requirements is solely on tables or list of values, no complicated diagrams, which would be a better design and common practice?

Thanks

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you mean by "standard" but there's no push technology to push data to Report. However, it's possible to invoke a Report so Report server will pull data from the Application. Anyways, this will make the system more coupled. I recommend (1) because it's very easy to change datasource in JasperReports.