JasperReports Library 7.0 is now available ×

How to Use Beans with Jasper Report?

By: roshansalvi - roshansalvi

How to Use Beans with Jasper Report?

2005-03-02 23:20

hello everyone!

i m using Jasper report and iReport as it's visual editor,

passing parameters and calling Jasper Report through java file is also working fine.

But i want to use Enterprise Bean in Jasper report

As in iReport, there is an option for specifying Bean Class with Query Reporting,

so i don't know how to use that option?

if anyone knowing this, plz help me out

Thank You

By: Doug Berkland - berkland

RE: How to Use Beans with Jasper Report?

2005-03-29 15:57

For each level of beans containing other beans, create a new sub-report level. Pass the secondary collection in a new JRBeanCollectionDataSource as the datasource for the subreport.

By: mcalex - mcalexy2k

2005-03-13 22:32

Please refere "Data Source" sample in your <jasper installation>demosamplesdatasource

reply me if you need more guidelines or help

Regards

Alex

By: roshansalvi - roshansalvi

2005-03-28 19:18

Thanks Alex. I have also gone through datasource example. Actually i am using iReport. Again in datasource example it is simple example. i want to pass object tree that is. for eg.. Test contains many subject, each subject contains many question, each question has many options. etc...

so how could i achieve this. Please help me out. I will be thankfull to you.

i want to know how can i iterate so that if i have collection of object all will be print on report

Roshan

By: Mertz - mgollogly

2005-04-26 06:19

The example data source is'nt clear. I'm trying to pass the results of a query through to the report. The problem being that an array is not dynamic. Do you know if this can implemented as a collection.

By: Doug Berkland - berkland

2005-04-26 07:11

Instead of the CustomDataSource object, use JRBeanCollectionDataSource instead. Any collection of Java objects with bean-style setters/getters can be passed to the constructor.

By: Craig O'Shannessy - shanness

2005-03-13 22:49

Also note that due to subreports relying on threading, and the EJB spec mandating that you can't use threads with EJB's, you can't actually use Entity Beans directly on subreports. You will have to convert them into data/value objects first.

There are other threads about this (with me at the Author).

Search for J2EE threads or EJB threads.

I noticed in an email from Marc Fluery (head of JBoss) that Jasper has become part of the "JBoss Open Source Federation", and it seems Jasper (Teodord) has committed to making Jasper intergrate with JBoss.

Teodord, does this mean that subreports will be stop using threads?

By: Dan Desch - danieldesch

2005-05-05 07:51

Craig O'Shannessy wrote: "Also note that due to subreports relying on threading, and the EJB spec mandating that you can't use threads with EJB's, you can't actually use Entity Beans directly on subreports. You will have to convert them into data/value objects first. "

I don't think that is exactly right. The restriction in EJB about threads doesn't prohibit a sub thread from using an entity bean, but rather it restricts an entity bean (or session bean or message bean) from starting a new thread. So, I would have said, a sub report can directly (or indirectly) access an entity bean. The entity bean however, can not invoke a sub-report (via, for example, invoking a Jasper fill method).

Do I have this right Craig, or do you think the restriction works both ways?

Dan Desch

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic