We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Comparing two date values in iReport.

tgrady
Go to solution Solved by mdahlman,

Hi,

I am trying to compare two date values in iReport and am unable to get it to work correctly.  The below code is resident in the Text Field Expression property of a detail line.   Some notes on the fields being used in the below staetment.

($F{fieldA}.compareTo($V{fieldB}) == 0) ? "01/01/0001" : "fieldA"

-> fieldA is a date field whose value will be overridden should it be equal to fieldB.

-> fieldB is a date field (java.util.Date) that gets loaded via the following statement within it's variable expression property.   - $P{initialDateCalendar}.set(1000, 00, 01)  

-> With the above in mind, the intent is to check if fieldA has a value of 01/01/1000 and if it does to set it to 01/01/0001. 

-> When I print the contents of fieldA and fieldB they both print out at 01/01/1000.  Based on this I would expect the compareTo statement to yield an equal condition (== 0) and load fieldA with as value of "01/01/0001".  With both fields being date fields, the compareTo iseems to the the correct comparison  operator to use.  Also, fieldA is a Date field (and not date-time).

Am I missing something here?  For what it is worth, I also tried .equals and == as comparison operators and they too yielded the same result as compareTo.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

I would try something like this:

( $F{Field1}.getTime() == $F{Field2}.getTime() ) ? "some string" : "another string"

Note that your current example is closer to this:

( some comparison ) ? "some string" : some_date

That's bound to cause problems. Decide if you really want a String or if you really want a Date after the comparison is made.

• 2 weeks later...