We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

IReport 4.1.x and 4.5 performance problems

pumaking

Hi,

I have enourmous performance problems with Ireport 4.1.3 and 4.5.0. I use Jasperreports server 4.0.2 and load the reports via the repository navigator.

Java is installed in version 1.60_23, I user Win7 X64 and have quite a performant workstation with 8 GB Ram and a Core i7-CPU.

I measured the time it takes to open a quite complex report: 

4.0.1: 7 seconds

4.1.3: 96 seconds

4.5.0: I killed the process after it was loading 5 minutes...

Btw: I imported the settings from 4.0.1 to the other versions, so everything should be configured the same. Ireport compatibility is set to 4_0_1.

Someone an idea what goes wrong here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also recently upgraded from 3.7.x to 4.5.0 and the performance is terrible.  It takes almost a minute to load the initial design view of a small report.  It can take 15-30 seconds after clicking on a report element to see the design and properties react to the selection.

I wanted to try increasing the memory allocated to Java, but I can no longer find the ireport.conf file that was present in earlier versions.

This is really terrible performance and a major step backwards for a good product..

Yes !

I am going back to 4.0.2. Version 4.11 && 4.5.0 blow in terms of speed. I know I am not adding to the discussion, but 5 - 6 times slower ?!

Check your code or at least tell us why you are doing extra in the background to warrent this waiting.

On MacOS X 10.7.2 : I am seeing iReport doing allmost nothing or spiking ~130%three times before giving me my preview.

Post Edited by miltenb at 01/30/2012 06:20

On a developer enviroment, I had previously a weird sistuation.

I use a virtual machine envirionment with VirtualBox, being Windows 7 SP1 64 Bits and the Guest an Windows XP Pro SP3 32 Bits.

If I use the Direct3D drivers of the Virtualbox Guest Additions, the iReport in the VM will be very slow...

The java.exe process will use a lot of CPU usage because of this.

Not sure if it is related with your problem.

Post Edited by robccsilva at 01/26/2012 14:04

Did not find any as of yet. However, after a few runs new Classpath entries were created and the speed starts to decrease.

I can keep deleting off course, but something of a more structural nature would be great.

Post Edited by miltenb at 01/30/2012 15:43

wow. Uninstalling extension and removing classpath worked for me too. Thanks.

I'm new to iReports, and just started using it with the 4.5.0 release. Last few days I've been thinking "how does anyone get anything done with this tool?". I glad to find that the slowness (especially when compiling) is not the norm.  I wouldn't have known otherwise.

To uninstall plugin:

• Tools -> Plugins
  • Select "Installed" tab
  • Check "jasperreports-extensions"
  • Click uninstall button at bottom.

To remove classpaths:

• Tools -> Options -> iReport -> Classpath
  • Shift-Click or Ctrl-A to select all
  • Remove

• 7 months later...

I've been suffering the slowness of iReport for several months working with a huge report.

I've tried everything, even using JasperSoft Studio (which went a bit faster), but could never use the designer with a speed as when you're using Word.

Today I've discovered JasperWave (www.jasperwave.com) which goes really fast! So I recommend you to try JasperWave.