We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

JasperReports Server 4 GUI is Extremely Slow

colddata

Hi,
We have installed yesterday the WAR distribution ZIP file following instructions in the installation guide. The installation went more or less painlessly. However, we are experiencing these issues:

1. Browsing the Jasper server GUI is taking forever (sometimes, I need to wait over a minute for another page to show up). And I am not talking about running sample reports (that are very slow too), I am talking about browsing the GUI itself. And this server has no load and plenty of memory, so the issue has to be somewhere else.
  2. In Firefox, quite often the navigation tree (in the left pane under "Folders") doesn't show up at all. See attached image. I have to hit page refresh to make it appear. Seems like this is not an issue in IE8.
  3. Some of the sample reports that were installed hang the server at CPU 99%. I have to kill and restart the app server to bring things back to normal. See 2 attached images showing top processes before and after.

We are supposed to showcase this product next week and this is a huge showstopper for us. Please let me know if there is anything I can do or try to fix these problems.

Server:

Memory: 8GB

Web server: Apache 2.2

Database: MySQL 5

App server: JBoss 5.1.0 GA

Java:

java version "1.6.0_18"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_18-b07)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)

JBoss JVM Options set in run.conf:

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xss2m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled"

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Djavax.xml.soap.MessageFactory=org.apache.axis.soap.MessageFactoryImpl -Djavax.xml.soap.SOAPConnectionFactory=org.apache.axis.soap.SOAPConnectionFactoryImpl -Djavax.xml.soap.SOAPFactory=org.apache.axis.soap.SOAPFactoryImpl -Djavax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory=org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl"

Client:

Browser: Firefox 3.6.9

Please let me know if you need any other info.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely try bumping up the memory for the java heap. So, something (at least temporarily to see if things can work better) like:

-Xms2048m -Xmx4096m

JasperServer is a fairly large application. So, the default settings (at least the ones setup by the installer) are essentially minimal settings). But these settings should work fine for a single or couple of simultaneous users.

And JBoss takes a bunch of memory too. Oh, and if you have any other applications running in your current JBoss, you should temporarily undeploy these. All of JBoss' web applications will share the same startup java memory values.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issues here too. Painfully slow GUI and disappearing navigation tree in Firefox. This is besides not being able to properly upload and update on the server reports (containing subreports) from iReport 4.0.2.

• 2 months later...

We have experienced the same issue. In our case we are using Oracle 10g as the db server. JS v4.1 is deployed on jboss-5.1.0 GA, Linux 64bit, JVM 1.6.0_22. We have upgraded the JS to its latest version, v4.1 from v3.7 following the instruction in JS installation guide.

Any findings on this issue.