A retrograde step - JasperServer 4 only allows alphanumeric characters in MySQL root password

johnwmcc

I have just uninstalled JasperServer 3.7 (downloaded earlier today in error when I though it was the latest version) and replaced it by JasperServer 4.0.0, and installed it on a Linux server (a customised CentOS/Red Hat distribution - ClearOS).

I find I've had to change my MySQL root password on 127.0.0.1 because v4 unlike v3.7 won't accept the original password which for security had punctuation characters - it tells me I can now ONLY use ALPHANUMERIC characters.

This seems to me to be a retrograde step - why has it happened?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What doesn't accept it?

Run .js-install.sh test

If I do that and put $^$^T$# characters in my password at the end I get: 

/usr/local/jaspersoft/jasperserver4-cp/buildomatic/bin/validation.xml:259: Invalid username/password combination: [root/test$(%U(@U%]. Treating problem with JDBC connection as unrecoverable

So the special characters appear to be passed through ( I didn't change my password so the message is expected)

Sorry if I didn't make clear in earlier post that it was the installer for Jasperserver v4.0.0 (the linux jasperreports-server-cp-4.0.0-linux-installer.bin file) which prompts for the existing MySQL installation root password, and gave the error message 'use only alphanumeric characters in password' (or words to that effect) with the original password in place for the root@127.0.0.1 user. I am then prompted to press Enter and try entering the password again, until I have set one that IS only alphanumeric.

I don't have any file called js-install.sh to run. I've both looked for it 'manually' in the /opt/jasperreports-server-cp-4.0.0 directory, and searched the whole file system, and there isn't a script with that name anywhere.

[Later - I DO have a file called js-install-ce.sh which I've just found in the buildomatic directory - presumably the ce stands for Community Edition - I'll try running that].

When I run

./js-install-ce-sh test

I get an output with only one warning - JAVA_HOME variable not found.- but this is AFTER I've changed the MySQL root password for host 127.0.0.1 to be alphanumeric. (See attached file).

I then changed the pw back to include some punctuation characters, and re-ran the ./js-install-ce.sh script. I'm not prompted for the pw, and the database connection therefore fails.

Not sure if this helps understand what's happening. To get things working again, I've changed the pw back to alphanumeric.

John McClenahan

• 5 months later...