Macrons not displayed in Java Application

prashanth.talkad

Hi,

I'm facin an issue where Maori Macrons are getting displayed on my reports when I run it in JasperServer(v ) and in iReport(v ). I have a java Interface with code to interact with JasperServer via webservices calls provided by the jasper server.

The moethod -

public JasperPrint generateReport(String reportUri, Map parameters) throws Exception {      
        ResourceDescriptor resourceDescriptor = new ResourceDescriptor();
        resourceDescriptor.setWsType(ResourceDescriptor.TYPE_REPORTUNIT);
        resourceDescriptor.setUriString(reportUri);
        JasperPrint generatedJP = null;
        WSClient wsClient = jasperServer.getWSClient();
        if (wsClient != null) {
            generatedJP = wsClient.runReport(resourceDescriptor, parameters);
            boolean emptyPages = generatedJP.getPages().isEmpty();
        } else {
            new SystemException("A WSClient instance is not available.");
        }
        return generatedJP;
    }

And the returned JasperPrint object is converted into pdf using -

JasperExportManager.exportReportToPdfFile(report, pdfFile.getAbsolutePath());

This is where the problem is - the pdf report that is rendered DOES NOT CONTAIN MAORI MACRONS!!!

As mentioned earlier, the macrons are visible when I run it from iReport(with connection to server) and from the jasper server itself.

Any help in pointing to the right direction to get this working is appreciated.

cheers

p

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi - a quick update . in the JRXML, I've got a text field as below -

<textField isStretchWithOverflow="true" pattern="" isBlankWhenNull="true" evaluationTime="Now" hyperlinkType="None" hyperlinkTarget="Self" >

<reportElement

x="9"

y="25"

width="523"

height="12"

key="textField-7"/>

<box topBorder="None" topBorderColor="#000000" leftBorder="None" leftBorderColor="#000000" leftPadding="2" rightBorder="None" rightBorderColor="#000000" rightPadding="2" bottomBorder="None" bottomBorderColor="#000000"/>

<textElement>

<font fontName="Times-Roman" size="10" pdfFontName="C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ARIALUNI.TTF" pdfEncoding="Identity-H" isPdfEmbedded="true"/>

</textElement>

<textFieldExpression class="java.lang.String"><![CDATA[$F{V_PERSON_ADDRESSING_NAME}]]></textFieldExpression>

</textField>

If in the above field definition I change the pdfFontName to "repo:ARIALUNI.TTF" and upload the font onto jasperserver, the java application throws an exception -

Caused by: net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRRuntimeException: Could not load the following font :

pdfFontName : repo:ARIALUNI.TTF

pdfEncoding : Identity-H

isPdfEmbedded : true

at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.getFont(JRPdfExporter.java:1691)

at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.getChunk(JRPdfExporter.java:1600)

at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.getPhrase(JRPdfExporter.java:1583)

at net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter.exportText(JRPdfExporter.java:1908)

If the hardcoded path is in the field definition, it would like a charm. The java app I'm talking about it a web application and the user needs to open the pdf's to view the macrons.

thanks,

p

prashanth,

You are not the first person to have an issue like this. It's pretty common. If you are using a current version of iReport, surely you noticed that the property is not called, "Pdf Font name". Quite a few releases ago it was changed to "Pdf Font name is now deprecated. You should use a Font extension when using a not standard font. See Tools->Options->Fonts."

What it lacks in elegance, it makes up for in detailed clarity. Look up Font extensions in the Jaspersoft docs. The JR Ultimate Guide is useful, but you'll find other sources as well. For example I wrote about Fonts in JasperServer nearly a year ago. My article could use updating, but it has the important points.

Font extensions were created to solve the problem that you are having.

Regards,
Matt

• 11 months later...