iReport 3.6.1 cant find JDK

ctkrm

Hi there.  So, I decided to switch from 3.6.0 -> 3.6.1.  I uninstalled, the old version, and reinstalled the new version.  That's the only thing I did, and all older versions of iReport have been running fine.  However, when I go to run 3.6.1 i get the error: JDK 5.0 or newer cannot be found on your machine  .  Is there a config I can modify (and what entry do I need)?  Some other info:

XP Sp2

iReport 3.6.1 installed with the windows installer to C:\iReport-nb-3.6.1

JDK is at C:\Sun\SDK\jdk

Code:
C:\> java -versionjava version "1.6.0_16"Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_16-b01)Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ctkrm,

this is a very interesting bug which I would like to understand exactly where it comes from and fix it.

iRepot (actually a generic NetBeans application) looks for a suitable jvm on your system in the following Registry keys:

Software\\JavaSoft\\Java Development Kit
Software\\JavaSoft\\Java Runtime Environment

I definitively will consider to add to the search path the JAVA_HOME system variable.

Can you check if one of there registry keys are set or not?

Finally, you can specify manually the java installation to use by specifying the jdk home on the command line (or even in the <ireport>/etc/ireport.conf file).

c:\Program Files\JasperSoft\iReport-nb-3.6.1\bin>ireport_w -h
Usage: launcher {options} arguments

General options:
  --help                show this help
  --nosplash            do not show the splash screen
  --jdkhome <path>      path to JDK
  -J<jvm_option>        pass <jvm_option> to JVM

--cp:p <classpath>    prepend <classpath> to classpath
  --cp:a <classpath>    append <classpath> to classpath

Thanks

Giulio

Thanks for the help giulio.  Your suggestion worked a treat, launching from the command prompt with:

C:>iReport-nb-3.6.1binireport_w.exe --jdkhome C:SunSDKjdk

You were also correct about the registry keys, they are missing on my system.  They were most likely removed when I was tidying up my java installations (I had 3 at one point on this workstation, it's a long story, but I consolidated to just the one shown above).  The only key in the SOFTWARE\JavaSoft listing is one called:  InstallerVersion  Type REG_SZ  Data: 1.6.0_15-b71.  There are no paths listed under it except for one empty one called 'Prefs'

Thanks again for the assistance, I've adjusted my shortcuts to include the --jdkhome option.