Installing iReport on Linux

johnwmcc

I would like to install iReport on a Linux server, and use it to generate parameter driven reports on our website which runs on the same server. The server runs SME Server v7.4, a customised version of the Community Edition (CentOS 4.5)  of Red Hat Enterprise linux.

I have trawled this forum, and the internet using combinations of search terms 'iReport', 'linux' and 'install' or 'installation' and 'howto', and only found out of date and sketchy instructions for installing v2 of iReport.

I want to use the current iReport v3.5.3. I have found one reference that says there's an install script called setup.sh but that is not in the current tar.gz download, nor are there any installation instructions in the tar.gz file. There IS a file called just ireport (with no file extension) in the root of the download tar.gz file that looks like the little I know of Linux install scripts.

But another refence suggests that there are other dependencies that need to be installed, for iReport to work on Linux, like a Java Runtime Environment and possibly SDK, the Ant compiler, and there's a PHP/Java bridge piece of software too.

Has anyone written a HowTo for this? Or know where I can find such instructions? I'm not a complete novice in Linux - I've managed this Linux web server for years including some use of the command line - but I'm not an expert by any means either, and can frequently find myself out of my depth.

Thanks if you can help point me in the right direction.

John McC

PS I see there's a reference to PHP/Java links in another recent post, with a further reference to a blog

http://www.rjohnson.id.au/wordpress/2007/10/27/bullet-proof-jasper-reports-and-php/

but that too is rather out of date though potentially helpful, once I've got the basic installation process sorted.

Post Edited by johnwmcc at 08/19/2009 11:42

Post Edited by johnwmcc at 08/19/2009 11:45

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Code:
Hello , I have tested ireport on several linux distributions. In my cases only one step was necessary. extracting the archive, and copiing to a useful place (f.i. /usr/local), you need a working java runtime environment. a recent jre. the installation is the same, extracting copiing, and eventually a link to /usr/bin , so that you can reach the java executable from everywhere, thats all....
Regards Randolf Balasus

You said "Hello , I have tested ireport on several linux distributions. In my cases only one step was necessary. extracting the archive, and copiing to a useful place (f.i. /usr/local), you need a working java runtime environment. a recent jre. the installation is the same, extracting copiing, and eventually a link to /usr/bin , so that you can reach the java executable from everywhere, thats all....

Regards Randolf Balasus"

Thank you. That may give me enough of a clue to at least TRY it. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'll look tonight for a Linux version of the JRE.

John McC

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I am trying to install iReport 3.7.2. on a machine that runs linux, but there are no installtion files in the tar.gz. I have searched and searched the web, in vain after a simple how-to for this. Please help, any tips are more than welcome.

• 1 month later...

To run ireport you just run the ireport binary file after you've extracted all the files.
So something like:

ireportdir/bin/ireport

Example

From the terminal(BASH), change directory to you iReport folder (change "ireport" to whatever directory you extracted the tar.gz to)

cd ~/Downloads/ireport

then execture the bin

./bin/ireport

Post Edited by pwd at 06/21/2010 17:00

Post Edited by pwd at 06/21/2010 17:03