We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

seeking suggestions on how to do something

itchytoes

Hi --

I have some xhtml data with MathML included  that I want to format and display as part of a Jasper report.

Assuming that I'm willing to write some java code for something that can be "plugged in", is there a way that I  can do this, and if so, what is the best approach?

I can read the data into a w3.org.dom.Document, for example, but I'm not sure what I can do with it beyond that point.

Can I generate any PDF stuff and plug it in?   Can I write something that processes a custom element in a jrxml file?

Betty

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

If the text field markup feature that already exists in JasperReports is not enough for your needs (note that it deals only with text formatting, not with layout or images or anything other than text), then you might want to implement a custom component.

JasperReports now comes with a few implementations of custom components such as the list component and the barcodes.

The JasperReports Ultimate Guide contains a short tutorial on creating a custom compoent for JasperReports. The 3.5.2 version of the guide is due to be out in a few weeks time.

I hope this helps.

Teodor

Hi -- Thanks for the suggestion. I believe what I want to do will have to have layout formatting and possibly images. This goes along with an earlier post about wanting to process MathML. I believe you said that I could do a custom markup thing that would handle MathML, but MathML would involve layout issues also. (MathML includes elements like tables to handle matrices). So, I guess my question is, if layout issues are involved, I must implement a custom component, but if it's just text formatting, then I can do a markup thing?

Hi,

I already told you what markup does for text fields. You ask me again if it should work. Why don't you actually try it?

Anyway, here's a link to a tracker that talks about a HTML renderer component:

http://jasperforge.org/projects/jasperreports/tracker/view.php?id=4256

Feel free to comment on the tracker or get involved into creating such a component.

We think this would be a good contribution to have from the community. It is not something we plan to work soon.

Thank you,

Teodor