iReport 3.5.0 when starting up freezes in "checkin

leeyuiwah

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that it was probably due to the fact that I am in a network behind a web proxy so the "checking for updates" could not go pass our firewall and somehow hung there.

The problem then became how could I complete my change to the proxy setting before the program freezes. 

Finally, I found that the properties file for remembering the proxy setting is

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\.ireport\3.5.0\config\Preferences\og\netbeans\core.properties

So I modified that file outside of iReport and I seemed to have get pass the problem.  Thanks!

Hi,

The core.properties file will be created only after you get a chance to change the options in your iReport 3.5.  In my case I found that iReport 3.5 freezes before even I could do that.  As such the core.properties may not be there.  In this case, you can create the file with contents like this (substitute your own parameters):

#Wed Apr 22 20:12:04 EDT 2009

WWWBrowser=SL[/browsers/SystemDefaultBrowser

proxyHttpPort=8000

proxyType=2

proxyHttpHost=http\://proxy.company.com

bsandberg,

A JasperSoft support guy told me that I can use this to start iReport 3.5 with update checking disabled.  However, it did not work for me.

c:\Program Files\JasperSoft\iReport-nb-3.5.0\bin>ireport_w.exe -J-Dplugin.manager.check.updates=false

I resorted to changing the core.properties file instead.

leeyuiwah,

Thank you for the help. The two suggestions did not solve the issue but you did give me a great idea. I started up iReport on an internet connected machine and let it do its thing. Then I checked some properties files. There are two things to do to get past this if one is not able to use a proxy.

1. Under C:Documents and Settings<username>Application Data.ireport3.5.0onfigPreferencesorgnetbeansmodulesautoupdate.properties add: period=5 This should disable the update check.

2. As soon as humanly possible, once you have started iReport, close the Welcome window - I believe it actually freezes trying to load the "Spotlight" and the "Resource Center" data.

thanks!

Post Edited by bsandberg at 04/27/2009 14:02

• 3 weeks later...

I'll check the code used by NetBeans that seems to work well even if there is a proxy, and I'll check plugin.manager.check.updates to avoid unuseful internet accesses.

Can someone having this problem to:

1. log a bug with the proposed solution

2. check what happen when with NetBeans IDE when opening the welcome page of the IDE (which load some stuff from internet too)

Thanks a lot!

Giulio