Variable Column Widths via iReport?

rfjacobsen

I have reviewd the forums and doc and see no reference to defining column headers (and therefore columns) with variable widths via the iReport IDE. When one goes into the properties for a column header definition, the column width settins onlt allow you to set the number of columns, and the spacing and column widths get set automatically. The vertical bars in the GUI are not movable. There must be a way to allow for different column widths in for example, a subreport.

Has anyone come across this and found a solution. It's hard to believe a tool like this wouldn't provide such a basic function.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

-RJ

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RJ,

It sounds like you may not be understanding the column feature correctly. If you have fields A, B, and C then you can create a tabular report that shows them. Each "column" can be any width that you want.

But maybe A, B, & C all together aren't very wide. Instead of having lots of blank space in the report it might be more effective to have 2 columns in the report. A, B, & C will be repeated in each column. The columns will necessarily have identical layouts. These are the columns referred to in the report's "Columns" property.

Does this make it clearer?

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt.

I apologize for not replying sooner.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand now that the columns are really a way to split the data on the page rather than represent single data columns. I can now set up my data column widths as I wish.

Thanks for your help.

- Robert