Oracle JNDI

fallenstorm

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, and after reading the entire Install manual I have found.......  It says absolutely nothing about Oracle.  Nor can I find anything on this site related to making this confiruration work unless I want to spend $50 on a manual that you do not even display the table of contents to so I can determine if my questions will be answered. 

My experience with this out of the box has been very negative.  I find things on this site to be not a truely open nature.  You could learn a thing or two about open source by watching JBoss.  Although they try to get you to purchase their enterprise software, they do offer full documentation on how to get things to work with common industry configurations.  You should have spelled out completely how to configure the community edition server with a database as common as Oracle right out of the gate. 

My experience with this today has not lead me to want to purchase your enterprise version, it has rather turned me off toward JasperSoft as your entire focus is way to directed at getting people to make a purchase.  Had the installer based community version worked out of the box (which it didn't) and had it then been easily configurable to my environment (which it is not) then I would have been way more inclined to look at buying support, professional versions, etc.  At this point I'm pretty disgusted.  You should also edit your installation manual so it does not refer you to the "JasperServer Administrator's Guide" which apparently no longer exist...  Or does it; for a small fee....

Just handing out the source code does not make your product "open source".  There's much more to it than that.

vmcooper,

Did you try searching the forum? There are plenty of threads about Oracle for Commuity Edition. That being said, you are right, there is no explicit documentation on setting up JNDI or JDBC data sources. We don't get questions about it - people in the community seem to know how to do it for Tomcat, and then use the data source screens in JasperServer to configure it for reports etc.

If you are wanting to set up a JNDI data source to report/OLAP against, you need to:

• install the JDBC database driver in Tomcat (or your app server)
  •  
  • set up a JNDI connection in Tomcat (or your app server)
  •  
  • create a JNDI data source in JasperServer (through the browser or the iReport plugin). There is a "Test" button in the screen to confirm the data source works
  •  
  • use the JasperServer JNDI data source with report units and OLAP connections (through the browser or the iReport plugin)

Sherman

Jaspersoft

Post Edited by Sherman Wood at 02/26/09 19:15

Hi,

Sherman, is right, no one generally asks such simple questions. Everything is actually self explanatory in User guide, install guide, admin guide and ultimate guides. There is this great forum with several registered developers to answer advanced questions like customizations, authentication, domains, topics, adhoc reporting, using ireports with jasperserver pro and others.

Thanks

Ram

• 1 month later...
Code:
My question never mentioned JNDI, you're right, simple, my applications use JNDI connections exclusively.  Rather I would have liked instructions regarding replacing the reliance on MySQL so I do not need to introduce something into my environment that isn't already there.

Not much help here. Just a bunch of defensive people making a lot of assumptions and some idiot who thinks that since Oracle is not open source we should in some way be obligated to try the purchased version first.

I stand by my statement reflecting that the "Open Source" version of Jasper is not a good advertisement for the company. MyEclipse reporting is looking better and better and they are all over helping people get started with their product rather than insulting their intelligence without reading their questions first.

What a community!

Hmm, some really nice folks. Please notice that my question never mentioned JNDI, you're right, simple, our applications use JNDI connections almost exclusively. Rather I would have liked instructions regarding replacing the reliance on MySQL so that I do not need to introduce something into my environment that isn't already there.

Not much help here. Just a bunch of defensive people making a lot of assumptions and some idiot who thinks that since Oracle is not open source we should in some way be obligated to try the purchased version first.

I stand by my statement reflecting that the "Open Source" version of Jasper is not a good advertisement for the company. MyEclipse reporting is looking better as they are all over helping people get started with their product rather than insulting their intelligence without reading their questions first.