iReport 3.0 dead?

froses

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iReport 3.0 isn't dead yet. It still ships as part of JasperServer, and it's still supported by the Jaspersoft technical support team.

But the plan is that iReport 3.1 will become the main report designer and the 3.0 will become deprecated. At that point the support team will still support iReport 3.0, but it won't be actively developed. We're trying to make sure it's a smooth transition as people move to the new iReport architecture. Then at some point after that 3.0 will become old enough that it really does die.

Regards,
Matt
Jaspersoft

Svenn,

Yes, I would say that the changes in 3.1 are large. Actually the functionality changes from 3.0 to 3.1 are not huge. But the change from a swing-based app to using the NetBeans architecture changes lots of details. In general it will make the user experience more consistent (easier to learn!), but for those moving from the old iReport to the new one (like me) there are lots of little details to learn about.

Francesc,

Yes, iReport will use the NetBeans Framework. In general most users shouldn't know or care about this. They'll simply find that iReport is more consistent internally and our developers will be able to make improvements more quickly because they can focus more on report design features and less on architecture features. (This of course ignores the short term pain of having the UI change. Oh well.) Users that already know NetBeans will of course benefit from finding that the UI matches something that they already know.

On the other hand, we aren't forgetting about the Eclipse community. It's big. I know the commercial Eclipse plugin, JasperAssistant, from our partner Infologic is actively maintained. I don't know details about the iReport plugin, maybe someone else here will be able to add details.

Regards,
Matt
Jaspersoft